Tuesday 12 April 2022

Still ditch diving: 6 bags full!

 More ditch diving Monday morning. I filled three more bags, which gives me a grand total of 6. There were the remains of 2 - 3 boxes of 6-bottle packs of beer, strewn across a longish debris field. I was happy they didn't break, at least. Me, either. I didn't fall. There is a lovely slope in the ditches.


Proud of myself, I had to go back down for a Tim Horton's cup chucked there since last week's ditch diving. Just to add insult to injury. I did the ditches in October [Fall chores], and began for Spring cleanup April 4th (my late mother's birthday, 1925 - 2006).

Just as I began, I heard, then spotted the yellow-bellied sapsucker! They are so funny! The males have learned to bang on things to appeal to the females. He usually starts here, then moves to the metal Internet tower. He banged on the shed, as well as the arbour. 

yellow-bellied sapsucker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The traffic was anxiety-provoking, but I burned on through it. I have to cover my ears, sometimes, or turn my back. Noise is my trigger, and they really burn on through on the highway. Roaring their engines, and passing the larger trucks. 

traffic from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

There is talk of an amalgamation, or an extension of Perth's town boundaries. It might give Perth a bigger tax base. Right now they have a population of 6,000. There are many lakeside communities, with both seasonal residents, and large mansions just outside town boundaries. I don't know what that would mean to our services. We are a small municipality. Our recycling isn't as robust as Perth's, and we cover a larger area, hence the community ditch diving. We shall see!

My other project, Western Chorus Frog survey, began Monday. I could hear them! More on that venture later.

 

8 comments:

Tom said...

...I have ruts galore to fix this year.

Anvilcloud said...

How do you dispose of your ditch-diving bags? Aren’t you on a 1 bag limit like we are?

RedPat said...

It must be satisfying for you to see it finished and clean.

Cloudia said...

You are my hero! Please be careful

William Kendall said...

Good that you do that.

DrumMajor said...

Sounds adventurous! Nice of you to do the trash pick-up. At least the sapsucker won't be banging on beer cans or bottles! Linda in Kansas

Red said...

I'll bet you find some pretty bizarre stuff. Good on you for cleaning up.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I would have been here sooner, but I've been stuck with my new tax man most of the day. Nothing like waiting till the last minute to get everything filed. Our taxes are due 15 April.

I am SO proud of you and all the work you are doing to keep your community clean and safe. Kudos, dear Jenn.