Monday 21 March 2022

Masking in spring

How do N95 masks work? Yes, they do work, if you wear one. 

That said, our big Ontario March 9th announcement is that March 21st, face masks are no longer mandatory in most settings, including schools. This is ridiculous. March Break is from March 12 => March 20. Kids who travel have to wear masks when they return, according to federal rules and regulations. Why couldn't they just delay this two weeks? A lot of families travel, like our Ottawa kids.

Our numbers, according to waste water tests, are rising. Since we have a provincial election on June 2nd, the government (seeking re-election) has stopped most testing, except in hospitals. 

Parents across the country are fighting with provincial governments (whose responsibility is healthcare), trying to lobby for masks in schools, at least for two weeks after March Break. One school board, Hamilton-Wentworth, is the only one keeping mask requirements. They are brave. Local health units are able to designate mask requirements, but they won't stand up to the province. 

This is a superb video! My SIL found it online. My massage therapist (designated as a healthcare setting) requires us to wear either a surgical mask or an N95.


OK, enough of that. We continue to monitor all that goes on in the world, with great dismay. We are privileged, here in Canada, that we can worry about COVID–19, rather than bombs. 

We had two days of rain, but snow still remains. 



The primrose look pretty happy with that. 


More signs of spring...  I've set up my zoom lens and put the camera on the tripod in the front window. 



SPRING: the grackle appeared on the horse chestnut tree branch on Sunday. The grackle has flown in in all its finery! It sat on the branch and looked back and forth

The cute, happy little chickadees!

I heard the song sparrow singing as I put garbage out this morning. So pretty!
This is from July, 2020:

song sparrow from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

14 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I just think anyone with any sense will be wearing masks when out and about from now until forever... YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

Ford was pretty adamant that schools shouldn’t mask mandate. He’s a piece of work, and I am told he has a big lead i the polls right now. I can’t quite understand why.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I loved your explanation and video on face masks and the N95 specifically. Sometimes we are ruled by politicians who don't know which way is uo

Enjoyed seeing the first signs of spring and the birds, too.

Kathy G said...

Although my area no longer requires masks to be worn I do so when I feel it's necessary.

Tom said...

...masking will continue to be a good thing.

RedPat said...

I'm keeping my mask on.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great video! Thanks. I was on my way to eat some (well, fix first, then eat) breakfast...and had to stop to watch the N-95 video. Of course your critter-cams are also great! Just more enjoyable to watch! Have a good day and a week that continues spring!

Jeanie said...

Spring is in your world! I love all the photos, Jenn. And thanks for the N95 video. This isn't over and I'm not ridding myself of masks!

Cloudia said...

Oh how beautiful Jenn. Human psychology and politics are fascinating, but sometimes we have to step back and just do what's right for ourselves. I'm wishing you all the best and Happy spring!

eileeninmd said...

Happy Spring Jenn! I love all your birds, great captures.
Take care, have a happy new week!

Nancy J said...

Hugh and I wear a P2 mask every time we go out anywhere, and in hospital for my eye appointment I had to wear it all the time. The N-95 are reserved for health workers, and my eye surgeon wore one.It does get hot, but far better than getting Covid.And now our borders are open to all New Zealanders to come back, we could get swamped with more infections. Here in our small rural town and surrounding areas, we have over 900, and I often wonder if they are all isolating at home.Do what you thing is best for you both Jenn, love the close ups of your birds, a welcome sign that your spring is there.

William Kendall said...

Ford always has been and always will be an idiot. That is one of the kinder words I would use to describe him.

The birds are cheerful.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

That is a good video. We will continue to wear our masks being pretty sure this is not all over yet. But it does feel good to be out and about more. Yes the birds are singing again! At least that’s moving in the right direction. Great photos Jenn!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Excellent post Jenn -- we have used the "real" masks from the beginning and mostly still do (I have a couple of black ones, not as good, but I wear them sometimes when I'm running into the grocery store or when I get my hair cut .