Monday 14 March 2022

The crows are back!

The crows are up to something! I documented their nest last year, not that I ever spotted it: 🐦 Crows. It was really well-hidden in the great white pine tree.

The week of March 7th, I noticed them picking up some stale bread I'd thrown under the bird feeder. Next, I saw three of them flying together. They could be the three musketeers we hatched last year. It's hard to say.

March 10th, I looked out in the back yard and saw one circling the old nesting site. Then it flew to our third pine tree, and flew away.

March 11th, I saw one in the chestnut tree out front. Then, later in the day, I saw three sitting in a row eating leftover deer food. Two left by the time I fetched the camera, honestly!  


We seem to have three at a time. Their broods can be 3 - 9 eggs. 

They were eating the deer food on the ground, along with the turkeys.

turkeys and crows from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

While we are birding, I noticed a red-winged blackbird. An excellent sign of spring! We had a robin overwinter, perhaps three.

Red-winged blackbird from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

12 comments:

Tom said...

...they are bossing the other birds at my feeders here too.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
It is not uncommon among corvids to find that one of the brood from last spring hangs around and helps with the new brood before then going off and starting their own family. I look forward to more posts on the Crow Crew!!! YAM xx

Jeanie said...

So nice to see the red winged blackbird. I'm still waiting!

Karen said...

We saw a huge gang (murder) of crows feasting on a deer kill yesterday. We didn't notice the carcass at first, there were so many crows. On our return trip the carcass was gone. Coyotes perhaps?

carol l mckenna said...

So glad to be connected again ~ I always enjoy your posts, photos and video ~ Nature captured so well in pics ~ love the Red winged blackbird and fascinating crows ~ Xo

Wishing you love and laughter in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Malindha Erba said...

Great post ^^

RedPat said...

Even hearing a Red-Winged Blackbird makes me think that spring is here.

Nancy J said...

You are definitely in spring, and the crows might just have another nest somewhere.

Cloudia said...

Smart birds!

William Kendall said...

I've noticed crows in the last few days too.

Red said...

I saw a couple of crows in mid Feb. This week there are quite a few crows here but no cawing!

Rain said...

The crows are out in force here too Jenn, in fact as I type this, I hear plenty of them cawing outside!