Wednesday 23 March 2022

Narrows Lock Birding – Part 2

 This is what we found at Narrows Locks: Canada Geese, Mergansers, and a busy spot for all. I was really happy that I brought my tripod. I think I might like a monopod at some point. I dragged the tripod with me around the road. It was comical.

Narrows Lock Road crosses the lake and it is a great spot for birds at certain times of the year. 

 

The single width bridge is closed for trucks. So the signage says! That's where JB parked, in the parking lot beside the blockhouse, and then the mail truck came along. He was happily waiting in the car, as the wind was really cold.


First to be photographed was the mute swan – all by itself. It was eating something just behind the blockhouse. I was happy to see that. I liked the reflection in the first one, although I got better using the tripod as I worked at it.

 

From here, I walked to behind the blockhouse, and onto the big dock.

There were lots of Canada Geese standing on the ice. 

Then I spotted a healthy flock of mergansers.

Cottages await their owners. Soon it'll be time to turn on the water and hydro.

This is where the lock is situated, and more birds in the shallows.

You can see the bubblers moving the water under the dock.

Big Rideau Lake is rather shallow (110m at its deepest), lots of rushes at the side of the lake.

The wind was merciless. As more geese flew in, the others either complained, or honked in recognition. It could go either way! geese at Narrows Lock:
 


There was a lot of grooming. Maybe in preparation for another big flight north or after their partial flight here!



The males guard their females:

Walking across the 2nd bridge, I noticed more birds. In the 2nd photo, below, you can see a male chasing off another male. 

I was at the other end of the road, and found a pair of mergansers all by themselves, seperate from the group on the ice on the other side of the highway. I wasn't sure if they were loons or not. The sun was so bright, my viewfinder made it difficult to see for sure. 

Happily, I'd fetched my heavy coat from the car. It was cold and windy. You can hear it on the audio: Narrows Lock in March from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I scared them off as I approached. I felt badly. They roared around in the air, and this is where a monopod would have come in handy! 


I've always enjoyed watching common mergansers. We had them in Bala in 2008:

I thought that was it for our adventure, but something caught my attention beside the bridge. More on that tomorrow! Stay tuned... 

In the meantime, we expect snow, freezing rain, and/or rain tonight. I am really glad we went for a drive in the sunshine. 

17 comments:

Tom said...

...the merganser is my favorite.

Anvilcloud said...

It's a good spot. I wish it weren't quite so far from here.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
You certainly made the most of the opportunity! We're getting a spate of real spring warmth this week... it just seems a bit too much too soon, says this sceptic... YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

A big thanks for lugging around your tripod, what wind coming off the water, freezing! Swans do look regal. Canada geese will never offer such a royal pose. Mergansers are ducks that I've never seen...so I enjoyed your shots of them as well! Cold!

RedPat said...

It was a successful trip.

Karen said...

We didn't see swans for YEARS (other than the Royal Swans on the Rideau in Ottawa). It's so nice to see them back and thriving in our area.

Lorrie said...

What a great outing! Your swan photos show off its beauty sitting there on the blue water.

Cloudia said...

Oh these are fabulous! Seriously you must go back as the season changes Jenn

William Kendall said...

The swan is beautiful. I haven't seen any Canada geese yet but assumed they were around. At least the ones making a stop to points further north.

Lowcarb team member said...

"I am really glad we went for a drive in the sunshine."

I'm so pleased you went too - your photographs are lovely.

All the best Jan

The Furry Gnome said...

Great place to look for birds!

Red said...

It's an exciting time of year when birds return.

Angie said...

Jenn - what a terrific spot for bird-watching!!! I can relate to feeling clumsy with a tripod - I have been known to drag around the tripod for my spotting scope. Not elegant at all! But the sights are worth it!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never heard of mergansers before. They are beautiful. Had to laugh at the goose chasing off another male. There is jealousy even in the bird community.

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a great place for birding, love the photos.
The Mergansers are a favorite. Take care, have a happy day!

Jeanie said...

It's always so good to see the ice going out. All those water fowl are very hardy!

Kay said...

Swans are such a elegant creatures.