Sunday 20 March 2022

Owl, crows, plants

🐦BARRED OWL

I heard the barred owl on Friday. This is what they sound like (video: 2017). We still have snow cover, although it rained all day Saturday.

 

Barred owl calling mate from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

March 19 – One was sitting on the flagpole in the early morn. JB called me over, but it flew as I was on approaching. I did see it fly away to the back 40.  
Saturday morning it was perched right here. This is an old video from 2020. JB suggested it is a frequent flyer!

barred owl Dec 24 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

🍃Indoor Plants

This first photo (below left), was from January, when my orchid began to show a new bud stem. I accidentally broke off the newest bud stem from my orchid. I feel so dumb. A little voice in my head said it was brittle, but I didn't believe it. It was about 10 cm long, the width of four fingers. 

🍃veggies grow

The pumpkins, squash, and zuchinni are coming along. The repotted cyclamen plant is doing well in the new/recycled pot. The second photo is one Josephine took in February.



I decided to fill up the spaces between the jiffy pellets with soil. They are going to be huge in a month. Last year, Caitlin reminded me, we had frost on May 1st. I lost a couple of my squash plants, and a lot of milkweed. 


I repotted the palm plant, and it's looking good. The cyclamen is in its former pot, a large ceramic teapot. The orchid cactus (Disocactus phyllanthoides) has a bloom, with more on the way. You just cannot see it in the corner!


Just in case you've forgotten, this is what the flowers look like (May, 2019): 

🐦 Crows

The crows were back eating deer food. You can see how much snow we've lost, comparing below left and right. They were up in the tree in the backyard on Friday, March 18th. Here in the yard Saturday, March 19th. Cinnamon was on a walkabout.


The trailcam sits on a tripod. There was so much snow melt that it tipped over a bit.

🐻SNUGGLE Bears

When Josephine was here in February, she took some close ups of the statue. We bought it at Art In The Garden, in June, 2019.

I've done in my right arm. I think it is a repetitive strain injury. I could barely lift it, or lift anything. I couldn't even use the lever on my lazyboy chair. I have used JB's Dr. Ho on it. Used some cream. Sleep has been difficult. It's the dumbest thing, and pretty trivial, compared to all things people suffer. I recall a time, back when I was teaching, and it just went numb. Our bodies are pretty complicated. 

19 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I don't know about surgery. If it hadn't been for the latest wave, I suspect that I might have had it by now or at least be close.

Tom said...

...the owl is wonderful. Hoot!

Mae Travels said...

Owls are the most fun to see. We always hope and look for them, but they are hard to spot

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Thanks for including the Barred Owl. It's one of the most evocative sounds of an Ontario woodland for me.

Karen said...

My tomatoes and basil are coming along nicely, but a lot of the other stuff will wait awhile. We've had frost as late as June 10!

DrumMajor said...

The bears look fascinated with that beautiful wire sculpture.
Try Arnica pain relieving gel. It's a homeopathic treatment. A Hawaii friend told me about it. No stink nor residue. It comes in a cream, but the WalMart equate brand has it in a roll-on for $5.74 for a 2.6 oz bottle. The bottle lasts half a year for me and my shoulder, or knees. Linda in Kansas

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Is there any way to propagate your orchid that broke off? I think I'd at least try. You have a nice set-up, too.

I lave that sculpture. I've made trees similar to that before (back when copper didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to mention. When you go to sleep, don't roll your hand in a fist or curl it at the wrist. Keep it as flat as possible. Hope it doesn't require surgery.

Phil Slade said...

Owls and birds in general are creatures of habit, just like us humans. You can't blame the crows really - if you lay out a free buffet they aren't going to ignore the opportunity to fill up.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Sorry about your arm, bad if you can't even operate the lazy boy. I've had similar things happen to me in the past. The body is a mystery.

We have some sort of owl here that hoots really loud at night. It sounds pretty close but I can't locate him.

I planted a bunch of wildflower seed at Turkey Mountain's monarch waystation. I've been watering them and be interested to see how they do. The Native Americans here have a seed initiative where they harvest wildflower seeds from a prairie plot that has never been farmed so I was given strict instructions to not waste them!!

Nancy J said...

The owl has the most melodious call. Your arm, maybe pulled or torn a tendon? See a Dr quickly if it doesn't get any better in a few days. Down here, mornings are SO dark now, we need the lights on later, and although a cool start, days are still very warm.

Cloudia said...

I love visiting your house Jenn! Thank you so much for sharing something so very different so very wonderful with us all

Christine said...

So sorry about that arm.

William Kendall said...

Owls are a delight to see or hear.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Sorry to hear about your arm! I find that as I get older it takes more and more time for everything to heal.

Red said...

You've gat a good gardening start right in your house. Looks great.

RedPat said...

The owl is wonderful.

Gaelyn said...

Once again your wonderful "yard" brings on exciting wildlife. The Owl is so cool. I always love to see what your bears are up to and really like your sculpture with rock and wire. Bummer about the arm. I too am in need of a rotator cuff and have put it off a long time.

Jeanie said...

Your seedlings are looking good! But sending healing vibes for your arm. I hope all is better soon.