Monday 7 March 2022

Secrets of the fall

This is a post I began last year in the fall. I kept hanging on to it, thinking I could get the little things on trail camera. Spoiler alert: I was wrong. In the meantime, we've had knee-deep snow. Yesterday, we were at 16˚ C. and have lost a great deal of snow. I haven't set a camera up there, as the walking is too difficult for me right now. We had 9 mm rain on top of the snow.  

These little holes intrigued me. I think they've been here at least a few years! They have to be a rodent of some sort. I could tell they are active, and while there used to be two, now there are four holes under this tree. 


I set up the trail camera on the tripod, which has been capturing many critters. The two trees on the right, the camera on a tripod.

The one hole on the left was the first one. I am so curious! You'll see the middle hole was either filled in, or was being excavated. 
Then it was opened.

I've been watching the hole:  Oct. 13.
I tried to see what came out of the holes. I may have given up!

We had a ton of rain, so I wasn't confident. I don't know if they like the rain or not! Most rodents have multiple entrances. So, they may just fool me. 


They keep working on this hole!


Oct 23


Oct. 28 – all covered up. Maybe they knew it was going to rain heavily?

Oct. 29 – one hole is opened up!

Nov. 1st – still nothing on the trailcams.


Nov. 2


Nov. 29

Dec. 4th – a little circle of frost!
 


Eventually, the knee-deep snow covered them up, and there are zero tell-tale signs of them. I hope they sleep and dream of spring. I can see no signs of activity. 

10 comments:

Olga said...

I have to admire your patience though!

Tom said...

...the leaves in fall are among my favorite things.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Well, now you've got us all on tenterhooks...!!! YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

Nice try! Some little rodent type furry thing won this round!

RedPat said...

There is a yard along Davenport Rd that has a steep garden and there are similar hole there. I have watched them for ages and have never seen a creature.

Anvilcloud said...

Holey.cow! Or mouse, or whatever. 🤓

Hena Tayeb said...

We had similar holes in our backyard and it turned out they were chipmunk holes.

Nancy J said...

Their idea is to keep you puzzled. Someone is busy down there, maybe one day a little face will just pop up!!!

William Kendall said...

Whatever critters they are, they are elusive.

Cloudia said...

Cool 😎