Wednesday 16 March 2022

The terrarium!

I found a fun activity in 2019: to plant a terrarium. I bought it used from a local second hand store, with fake flowers in it, but I didn't want any part of that. We shopped for some lovely wee plants. Baby's breath, pink polka dot plant, and a couple of others.

It was beautiful, with the teeny plants. Eventually, I cleaned the copper, and it looked much better. The plants were tricky. The baby's breath died, as it was too difficult keeping the moisture balance. The palm plant grew up!


I found some teeny mushrooms and fairies, as well as a little Muskoka chair, bench and table with a tea set. 

Dear Hooper loved to chew on the palm plant, as it began to grow out of the top. I finally took it out after several haircuts just made it thicker and stronger. We miss Hooper lots. R.I.P. Hooper, Nov. 2019. 

Cinnamon loved the palm plant, as well. I had to remove it, and repot it, as it kept growing out of the top of the terrarium. He found it in the new container! It's coming along. 

Not only that, but all of the plants grew and they grew, and they grew. I've just been giving it a haircut from time-to-time. Just chopping it all off across the top, like an old fashioned bowl cut, and hoping for the best.

Cinnamon looking fondly out at his squirrel friends. You can see how nice it is to have greenery between me, the window and the snow!




I took out the bigger plants on Tuesday. I'll try rooting them. I sprinkled a few forget-me-not plant seeds in it. We shall see what happens.

P.S. The pumpkins are coming along!

JB has been demonstrating a little more energy, it's a good sign. We had a dreary winter. He prepared another tableau. 

"BEARWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!" 

11 comments:

Tom said...

...50 some odd years ago we had a terrarium, but not as lovely as yours!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Love terrariums, but haven't had much luck with them. Your terrarium looks beautiful.
Cinnamon is a sweet kitty!

Barbara Rogers said...

What a fun terrarium...and the Ides of March collection is a good thing. Only once a year at least!

Jeanie said...

What a nice new banner photo! I haven't done a terrarium in ages but when I was a kid would make them with my mom. They were fun.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Good to see the terry-airy-'em again! Will be interesting to see how the seeds go... YAM xx

Far Side of Fifty said...

You can grow plants! That is a great terrarium:)

RedPat said...

I think that you have a green thumb. Everything seems to be growing so well.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Your terrarium did well -- I took a class here a few years ago, the lady brought the terrarium (much smaller than yours) and all the supplies and we could choose the plants and miniatures to put in it -- was fun to make in the company of friends and then to keep an eye on it when I brought it home. But I gave it away when we left at the end of that season. I figured if I left it on our deck all the plants would either die or else do so well that the deck would be a jungle when we got back the next year.

William Kendall said...

You have a much greener thumb than I do

Angie said...

Jenn - isn't it amazing how big those plants got with just a little soil in the terrarium? I love that you populated it with little chairs and the like! My favorite shot is Cinnamon's silhouette looking out the window. Awesome!

Kay said...

Your terrarium is wonderful. I had a terrarium in my classroom and the kids got to see how the water cycle worked.