Thursday 31 March 2022

Nocturnal visitors

 I've been watching the Flight Radar some. The horrors are atrocious online, tales of Russian soldiers looting without mercy, and I'm still looking for helpers. I find some comfort in seeing the various countries patrolling near and around Ukraine over NATO countries. 

✈ Air Traffic 🚁

USA's FORTE10 spent all day there. They must be refueling in the air. Italy and the RAF are there, as well. Someone is coordinating it, as the different countries spell one another off. I find comfort in it, as the NATO countries are there doing watching and ready. The map darkens once night falls. It's interesting.


They spend a lot of time here, watching east, I am sure. It's just west of Ukraine:



 Usually our wild visitors drop off in spring, as food is more readily available, and they don't have to search high and low for food. The raccoons are awake, they sort of doze in the depths of winter.

Jean came up with a clever name for our newest visitor: 'Pepper'! He appears to be a black cat. Cinnamon and Nutmeg were joined by Oregano, another tabby who may or may not be feral or wild. I don't think barn cats visit us, but who lets their cat out to roam at 2 a.m. at subzero temperatures? 

Here is video #2 of Pepper. Pepper cat from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Cinnamon cat looked out where Pepper had gone. I let him out at his usual 6:30 time. I know people complain about cats outdoors, but ours primarily keep our rodent population down.


Contrary to weather predictions, we didn't get the tons of rain and/or snow. We had some graupel before dark. The sound was quite striking. Graupel is something between hail and ice pellets. Graupel March 30  

 

The storm looked a lot worse than that which they predicted. There was some rain, some freezing rain, but not too much. We've an appointment with a tax accountant this morning. I give up! I've done TurboTax since 2011. It's been stressing me out too much over the past year. 

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Cute kitties, the freezing rain is awful. I have not heard the word graupel.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Tom said...

...you sure have a bunch f night visitors.

Olga said...

Graupel -- that's a word I had not heard for a long, long time and had all but forgotten.

Anvilcloud said...

it’s going to warm up today. I hope you and the critters enjoy that.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Your midnight cat seems well fed!!

We have an oppossum rooting around in our backyard just past midnight.

RedPat said...

We had the ice pellets and then hardly any rain at all even overnight. It doesn't seem like your cats wander very far when they are out so I am sure they are safe.

Cloudia said...

Thank you dear I enjoyed the escape

Nancy J said...

You will need to consult the herb names if anymore arrive at night and smell the catnip!!! Pepper, I thought as he is very black it might fit. The goose, maybe Pepper walked past him further down the road.

William Kendall said...

We had some of that mix of precipitation too.

DrumMajor said...

I didn't know you could check on the flight patterns around the globe! It's almost comforting to know the situation is being watched and prepared.
Maybe Pepper got kicked out of his home. Or his owner has new work hours? Linda in Kansas

Angie said...

Jenn - fascinating maps of the airplanes and their routes! Today, we had every form of precipitation. We had a dusting of snow on the ground when we woke up, and then we had rain, snow, graupel, etc., all day!!! Enjoy your weekend!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am fascinated by those NATO planes and maps you share. I ma turly impressed.

Laughed at the catnip cat. Pepper sounds like a good name. Cinnamon looks good, but I always worry when I see a cat outside, especially a domesticated one.