Tuesday 29 March 2022

Trip to Brockville

 No, not a trip like the good old days, during the pre-COVID days, we just went to the auction house and headed back home. 

😷COVID-19 <= Our numbers in the hospital are continuing to rise. (Ontario hospitals seeing rise in numbers of staff testing positive for COVID) We're not testing in Ontario, except for extreme cases or hospitalizations. Wastewater tests are rising. The news I read, from reputable sources, told me that the new variant, BA.2/BA.2.2, can present as norovirus, with gastrointestinal symptoms. 

There are school staffing shortages, but we don't know how many teachers have COVID since they don't qualify for a more accurate PCR test. Our premier is running for re-election, and doesn't want us to know the numbers. They have very limited parameters for getting a PCR test. 

Wednesday, March 23rd 

When we left, it was cloudy, and some bad weather was supposed to be on its way. We debated on going Wednesday or Thursday, and it looked like it would get worse overnight. Snow or rain. 

We began in the clouds, and drove into blue skies. You can tell we live in farm country!


There is lots of water on the fields. Yesterday morning, when I took the garbage out, is was -12˚ C. Thursday it is supposed to be 16˚ C. Such wild swings in temperatures.



Somebody had to have their car towed!

This was fun. As we drove I saw a large vernal pond, with tons of birds.



With melted snow, comes the mud!

Some of the snow is still on the ground.

I really like the stonework on this house:


For Joseph Brian: a sweet wrap around porch or two...

For me, an interesting garden.

It is still pretty wet. We had snow all day Sunday, after 20 mm rain the day before, but the snow mostly melted.



How is this for a mailbox?! 

My poor driver: he had to manage on roads that felt like fudge.

Horses for JB.


Somebody had a fire. So sad for the family.

I love stone fences.

And, another fire. 

This is for JB!


As we approached Toledo, I spotted a red-tailed hawk. It landed in this tree. We watched carefully on our way back. It was gone. I thought this was a nest but it might just be a witch's nest.



It was a safe pick up, outside at the curb, behind tables, with staff wearing masks, as well as most of the customers.  This was my goal: replacing my mom's garden ornament, Emily. She had an incident with Butch raccoon, as I made the mistake of putting bird seed in her basket.


My prize! Isn't she sweet? Emily 2.

14 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Yes, she is cute indeed and I look forward to seeing her in situ. Some great shots from the road trip... YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

Love the new garden ornament. Maybe grow something in the basket (which racoons don't eat?) Nice to see the various houses in the countryside.

William Kendall said...

A good thing to pick up.

Anvilcloud said...

With the NDP and Libs splitting the vote — again! — we are probably doomed for another Ford government.

Nancy J said...

Emily#2 is delightful, and in time for an Easter Egg or two?? Love the road trip, and verandahs, they are the best, Ours is not as elegant, but the best I have ever had.Will you get an Easter Egg?

RedPat said...

She is quite sweet. I agree with JB about the wrap around porches.

Red said...

It's very pleasant to get out after being cooped up from covid.

DrumMajor said...

What is a witch's nest? We have witches in Kansas from the Wizard of Oz, but they only fly around on brooms. It appears to be an old nest no longer used but it looks pretty big. Linda in Kansas

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed the trip you took. Mine are all virtual and on paper. Yours was real life. At least you were safe, it sounds when you picked up Emily 2.

Sad to see the houses destroyed by fire. LOVE the wrap around porches. I used to have one of those. They are great.

Christine said...

Glad you found a new emily.

Powell River Books said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog. I've really been lax in writing posts these days. Now that we are RVing again, maybe I will find some new stories to tell. It so hard to get through all of the new variants, especially now that people are getting breakthrough cases. Even though we are traveling we are taking lots of precautions. Here in the states we are now eligible for a second booster, but we are going to wait to get back to Bellingham to get a shot in case we have a reaction. I had a mild one with the last booster, but nothing that would prevent me from getting another. I hope cases level off for your area soon. - Margy

Jenn Jilks said...

@DrumMajor I should have explained. A witches nest is actually caused by some sort of fungus, and makes the tree branch in a strange way. It looks like a nest.

Jeanie said...

Emily 2 is wonderful and it looks like a wonderful drive and a fun and pretty one. That mailbox is great!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

That fellow must be expecting a whole lot of mail!