Monday 28 March 2022

The Battle of the Burrs

 Yes, burrs. I removed two thistle plants leftover from last year, and two burdock plants from the back lawn. I should have done it before the snow melted around them. The thistle is in the near middle of the photo to the left of the water fountain, which is still wrapped for winter. I did remove the Christmas lights from it last week. It was time!

Burrs are an effective means by which plants are dispersed. There are two types of dispersal: endozoochory and epizoochory. The first is when animals swallow fruit and seeds, and secrete the seeds out the other end. The last type is what the burdock burrs do: they use little hooks and barbs to stick to the outside of the critters, and the animals transport them on their coats.

The burrs stick to everyone!

You can see the burdock plant skeleton in the lawn. This was when we had more snow. 



My scarf is a bit of a mess.My coat looks pretty bad, too! I am waiting for some sunshine to sit on the front deck and remove them. 

It is an invasive species, sadly. 

"Arctium is a genus of biennial plants commonly known as burdock, family Asteraceae. Native to Europe and Asia, several species have been widely introduced worldwide." Wikipedia
Bur Macro.jpg
By Prosthetic Head - Own work, 
CC BY-SA 4.0Link

This is where the daffodils will come up! This is from April 21st, last year. We had some late snow, but the daffies survived. 


Unfortunately, aside from the burrs that stuck to me, there are a ton of burrs on the ground. This is where I intend to plant my veggies.

Not too long until I remove the tarp and get the water fountain going.


🍃seeds grow

In the bathroom I've got some coleus, strawflowers, pansies, and lupin. 



coleus

The zinnia I removed as they were becoming too long and falling over. I'm out of practice with this, but it did me good to plant them!



18 comments:

Tom said...

...this morning gardening looks a long ways off.

Olga said...

Perusing nursery catalogs and tending seedlings got me through many winters. I do have to say that I was amazed at how difficult it is to get anything to grow here in FLorida. I only use the so-called native species but it's still a high-risk activity for plant mortality.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Ugh, sticklebuds... we have those and a real nuisance they are too. All those seedlings look promising! Love the bloggy makeover too, Jenn &*> YAM xx

Elizabeth Edwards said...

that makes me itch. if only deer had hands. ( ;

Karen said...

Coleus are beautiful. My daughter is NOT a gardener, but she put them on her Toronto condo balcony last summer and was well pleased by them. I might add them to my porch plants too. Thank goodness we don't have burrs but there are thistles. I save the seed pods for the finches. Butterflies love the flowers. I might encourage them to grow in the wild butterfly garden at the back of the house with the milkweed.

Nancy J said...

Your little plant pots, does the whole pot and plant go outside into the ground later? They look fantastic . Burrs, I had what we called " Biddibids" when I was a child, and they stuck everywhere. Maybe the animals roll on the ground to try and dislodge them.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

So many burrs! Lots of seedlings on the go too. I'm not very good with seeds, I usually kill them but I am trying to grow some thyme and there are little shoots showing...yeah.

RedPat said...

You have a green thumb with all those seedlings.

William Kendall said...

I've always tried avoiding those burrs.

The Furry Gnome said...

We had lots of burdock at our last house!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Burdock is awful, but your seedlings look great!

Red said...

I hate having to clean of burrs that have stuck to my clothes.

Cloudia said...

Nice seedlings!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Burrs are an ingenious method for plants to spread themselves!

Our daffodils are in full bloom already, possibly too early as snow is forecast for today or tomorrow.

You've done a lot of work with all those seedlings!

Jeanie said...

I remember having to pick burrs out of our collie in the long ago. And I still get them on my pants or shirt when I'm walking sometimes. Well done!

Anvilcloud said...

I have a recollection of burr fights (I think) when I was young.

Powell River Books said...

When I first looked at your seedlings I thought it was a large platter of sushi. I planted marigolds and chamomile seeds in deck pots when we got back to the cabin in mid-March. The soil is still covered in the float garden to prevent the huge problem I had with tall weeds the last two summers when we got back home. - Margy

David M. Gascoigne, said...

My wife has several times remarked that the signature to my clothing is burrs!