Friday 21 April 2023

Spring means ducks

Phoebe's nest still awaits its owners, well, builders, to move in. It is very pretty. It's been a tad chilly, again.


We should get our trees cleaned up next week. 

The forsythia is in bloom. I don't know if it will get better than this. I thought it prudent to take photos now. This could be it, or it could have more blooms, or I might forget all about it, since it hides behind a tree in our front yard!

I'm still watching Pepper. Here is a photo of Nutmeg to compare his size. He's not as big as Cinnamon, but Cinn sure is afraid of him.


Pepper from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We went for a drive to Narrows Lock in the sunshine. I saw a pair of mergansers and hooded mergansers. I wasn't feeling well, so we headed back home. I have archive photos from Bala, Muskoka!






The frog pond has mallards and wood ducks. These were taken in Muskoka, and Vancouver Park. 

 

I find it impossible to get any photos of our ducks on the frog pond. They spook too easily, seeing me coming down the hill they flee. 

I cannot get photos, but I have set up the trailcam traps. Somebody likes the cracked corn I put out for the ducks!

15 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Amazingly, I have not yet seen an Eastern Phoebe this spring. They are all around but have eluded me so far.

Tom said...

...you have a nice collection of ducks, we mainly see mallords.

Christine said...

Spring has spring!

Christine said...

Spring has sprung I meant

William Kendall said...

Odd to see a deer wading.

carol l mckenna said...

Always wonderful nature shots here ~ thanks,

Hope you feel better soon ~


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bindu said...

I love mallards. Your photos are beautiful.

Phil Slade said...

Phoebes are smarter than us humans. They will know when to lay. The ducks think you might have a gun. Too many humans do.

RedPat said...

The phoebes may be waiting a bit before moving in.

Barbara Rogers said...

Those dear deer are so funny, walking through the muck of the pond to get the duck's seed. Well, a mucky walk is better than not having food, I'd guess.

Elephant's Child said...

I hope that you are feeling better. Thank you so much for the photos and videos.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Wow that last is definitely a white-tail deer! It looks quite pretty around your beautiful place (this post and the one previous). Happy Spring!! (I envy you having Spring because Florida is different. And am sure I've whined about this before. So I will try not to do it again.)

eileeninmd said...

Pretty flowers. Love the ducks, the wood ducks are a favorite. I like the Mergansers too. Have a happy weekend.

Jeanie said...

We got the cold drop too. I hope your phoebes move in. I don't think I've ever seen one of those. Mergansers are my favorite ducks!

Divers and Sundry said...

It's fun to see the ducks and their little babies at parks around here. Nothing startles them. Those pretty yellow flowers look like spring :)