Monday 24 April 2023

Flickers & the kids

Tuesday there is a vote on the proposed new gun range. The Planner has called for another deferral. We are all so angry. We are writing emails to convince them to put us out of our misery. 

Anyway, FLICKERS – we've enjoyed the Northern Flickers here. When they fly, you can see the flash of yellow in their tail feathers. They eat bugs in the grass.




One hit the window one year. It was so sad. I always take the opportunity to photograph them, to honour their spirit, and celebrate their beauty.





🐦 I've been hearing our pair of flickers all about the yard. 

I was headed down the hill to the trailcams in the forest. The flickers were above my head, chirping away. Then they roared away, around the front yard, and I kept on my way. Down by the frogpond, they landed right above my head, with more chirping. I didn't get THAT video. They were too fast. I did giggle!


 

Flicker flights from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

At 30 sec.↑ you can watch him establish his territory. It's going on all day, and great to hear.

I have found the nest. They are in the dead elm tree. This was on another trip to the frogpond!

 

☔ We've rain on the way. It won't impact the flickers. The birds are madly flying around nest building. The songs they sing have changed to territorial ones. 

👀 Jesse and the girls phoned from Vancouver on Sunday, asking for a Facetime. We had fun. It was Bryony's 5th birthday on Saturday. (Cluny, Jesse and Stacie have birthdays in May.) It's like Skyping with moving targets, and trickey with the 3-hour time difference. I remember trying it with Jos and Izzy in Ottawa, when we were in Muskoka. It's not ideal, but it is better than the phone. 



12 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Images and vids of the Flicker are lovely... and seeing distant family is one of the boons of technology! YAM xx

Tom said...

...staying in touch is important.

Anvilcloud said...

The woods are alive.

RedPat said...

How wonderful to have the Flickers nesting in your yard.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow, you got great video of the flickers...and hand held camera at that! Aren't facetimes a hoot? I will be sitting at my desk and one of my sons will text, up for facetime? I wonder what my hair, my outfit with stains down the front, will look like to the grands. But seeing them is definitely worth it.

Karen said...

We've had so many birds hit the windows this spring! I went to Dollarama and got wall stickers for all the big windows in the livingroom. It looks a bit ridiculous but that doesn't matter, right?

Divers and Sundry said...

Those deferrals are intended to wear you out. That's what they're for around here, anyway. They abuse the process.

Flickers are such striking birds! Real standouts :)

Elephant's Child said...

Your life is packed with riches.
I hope that vote goes ahead soon and suspect that the planner wanting a delay indicates that he doesn't think a vote now will go well for him.

DUTA said...

Happy Birthday to adorable Briony!

Red said...

Flicker dances are like minuets.

Patio Postcards said...

I like Flickers, great photos of them. Will be interesting to watch them raise a family in your woods.

William Kendall said...

The flickers certainly are busy.