Thursday 6 April 2023

That was an ice storm 2023

 For Wednesday it was a day of warnings. Rain or ice rain. On Tuesday I did laundry, JB put the dishwasher on, and I had a shower, and washed my hair. As ready as we'll ever be. Water saved in the tub.

School busses were cancelled. Our Ottawa grandies usually walk into school, as it is a place to get work done without the distractions of home. This was a mess, though. It was coming.


Thunder and lightning everywhere

I rigged up the water barrel, again, to get fresh water into the goldfish pond. (We have two ponds, the frogpond down by the meadow, and the goldfish pond I hand dug beside the house.) That will give us flushing water, if we need it. When power goes out, we don't have our well water pump, as well as electricity.

The lightning map was amazing, as thunder and lightning boomed all around us.


Over the day, more and more people lost power in our province. This morning, it is a disaster. Ours went down at 3:19. I watched and took note over the day. Power outages simply escalated. It was getting worse.

Ottawa has a ton of outages

It appears as if we should NOT have power,
but, thankfully, we do.


The temperature hovered between -1 and -2 C. all morning. Eventually, it began to drip icicles all around the eaves. I decided to forego my usual morning workout. It rained all day, and it was -1 C. I didn't want to risk needing a shower, with no water!

I emptied the rain gauge three times, 70 mm / 3" of water, mostly clinging to the trees and branches.



Our power went out at 3:19. It came back on at 8:40, right after a text message saying it would be on by noon the next day. It only last about 15 minutes.  When I woke at 4:30 a.m., we had power. I'm not sure why. I can still hear trees falling in the forest. It is shocking. If I weren't on anti-depressants, I would cry. The trees were all cleared up, branches chipped, logs in 16" lengths.

 

We are going to have to hire our crew again. The backyard is a mess. Not only are there branches down in the back, but in the front yard, as well. You can see where the branch is missing. It just crashed to the ground.



See the tree just beyond the hanging feeder? It is a mess, with branches down all over.



We had sandwiches for dinner. We'll have to check out the fridge and see what we have to throw out. We read by flashlight but by 10 and went to bed.  I was happy to wake up at 4:30 to have power. 

I am happy to be warm and dry indoors, the fire I made took us through the night. It is foggy this morning, and I hope the ice coating the trees melts before we lose more branches. I am so sad for the trees. 


17 comments:

Tom said...

...I'll take snow over ice anyday!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Crikey... so much for spring... YAM xx

Patio Postcards said...

Oh those poor trees. That's my biggest fear when freezing rain is called for, the damaged to our trees. They still are recovering from the big December ice storm of about 10 years ago. Glad you are all safe.

Anvilcloud said...

Sorry about your trees. We were fortunate to maintain power this time although there were some outages in CP.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh no! Such stormy weather you had. Poor old big branches broken. Glad you had thought ahead to turn back to pioneer status when the power went out. I kind of think that way, that and camping, are returns to our earlier ancestors' way of life. Then I think of the indigenous peoples who lived on the land where I live, knowing from nature how to survive without all the stuff our society has pasted on survival.

RedPat said...

Such a horrible day for you. My anxiety levels would be through the roof if I was there. Be well.

Divers and Sundry said...

Those poor trees! Your weather sounds downright scary :(

DUTA said...

Oh dear, what a mess! Rain, power outages, tree destruction, freezing temperatures. Hopefully, your weather changes in the following days.

eileeninmd said...

Sorry about the trees and branches, the ice storms are awful.
Take care, enjoy your day!

William Kendall said...

The power flickered briefly here, but didn't go out. There is damage in the city.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Ice storms are the worst! I would rather get a foot of snow than an ice storm. We just got 20" and are currently buried but at least we still have power!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

SO sorry to read about your trees. That is devasting. Glad your power is back on.

Elephant's Child said...

I am so sorry to read this. Those poor trees.

Jeanie said...

I'm so sorry you lost power. Maybe you didn't lose as much as you thought. I hope that's the case. I got a basement full of water (about 2") but no real winds so all is well there. Yikes. What a spring.

Vagabonde said...

The weather is sure crazy. Yesterday it was 83 F here and by evening we had tornado watch. Some came down in parts of Tennessee. We also were out of power a while back, for 16 hours. I bought a couple of little lamps from Amazon that can stay lighted for many hours on battery so I’ll be ready next time (I only had one candle.) In those terrible weathers trees are truly hurting.

Red said...

I'm glad that you're safe. That's a terrible thing to go through. It's absolutely unpredictable.

Lorrie said...

What a dreadful storm. We've been watching it on the news here. I'm glad your power was restored. It's good to be prepared as you were.