Monday 10 April 2023

Walkies in the forest

 I left off yesterday, with the kids visiting Crumbly Acres. (How fitting, YAM!)  They went home, happy to have power at their house. Saturday afternoon, April 8th, our Aussie Tree Care people came for another quote. We assured them that we aren't in danger, we could be patient, and to service customers with emergency tree issues from the storm. There are hangers, branches having fallen from the top of the tree, dangling and caught on another branch. We just have to be careful. Other people have trees down everywhere.

I'm still trying to process it all. I took a trek down to the meadow during the storm, April 5th. It was not pretty. JB wants to go down and see the damage, but I won't let him. It is wet and slippery, walking on the soaking wet leaves. 

ice storm '23 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I went walkies April 6th, through the forest to assess the damage. Most of the trees had stopped dropping the big branches. As I set off, a huge flock of geese flew northish! 

geese from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

After hearing this, I hustled up to the house.

branches crash behind the frog pond from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The next day, I found what lots of fallen trees and branches on our 3rd lot.

The damage isn't nearly as bad deep in the forest, where it has integrity, and the trees support each other.

The meadow looked like a pond, with leaning branches everywhere.

We'd just had this tree cleaned up April 3rd, from the December storm. I shook off the branches I could.

The wetland is really wet, and the water high. We've flood warnings on the nearby lakes. They mentioned Skootamata, which I'm sure is flowing at high speed.


I made it down to the frog pond. 

ice storm '23 the melt from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


The water is up to the dock, but it is draining into the wetland, as you can see in the photo above.

On a fallen log, a little bit of colour. We know spring is here. 



12 comments:

Tom said...

...well, you have a bright spot of the window sill.

Anvilcloud said...

Gunshots? I thought I was going to hear wolves howling, or a coyote pack.

Divers and Sundry said...

It's interesting to see what you're dealing with there. It sounds like every time you think you're past the worst of it another storm moves through. The trees have really suffered it looks like. I appreciate your point that the trees that are grouped together suffer less than the more solitary specimens because of the support they offer. I'm thinking that's sometimes the case for people as well...

RedPat said...

Lucky that your house was fine and no trees fell near it.

Nancy J said...

Spring, you could have fooled me if it wasn't for that bright yellow!!! Trees cracking and falling, dangerous time to be out there, Guess the clean up fellows will have more work than they can cope with .Geese, are they on the move or just telling you the latest news???

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Were those gun shots I heard at the pond? I would be rushing in the house, too.

I feel so bad for you and the trees, but it was great that you didn't require emergency services due to downed power lines. Those daffs are lovely!

DrumMajor said...

Goodness! It looks like the Great Northern Tasmanian Devil went whirling through your forest. (I thought just the cats went on walkies...) Please be careful. Snapping branches can injure humans and little froggies. Bet it would be a bigger mess if you hadn't had the tree trimmers visit earlier, and for sure that earlier trimming helped save some branches this time. Linda in Kansas

Elephant's Child said...

So much damage would hurt my heart and my head.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn :=) A belated Happy Easter. You mentioned that you had fallen trees and branches on your property after a storm, and your photos give me an idea of the damage. It's a shame, and keeping away from the dangers is a must.
Stay safe.
All the best.

William Kendall said...

I have yet to see what the Ottawa River is doing.

Red said...

That's a lot of standing water in a place that is not supposed to have water.

Patio Postcards said...

I am so sorry that you have lost so many trees. The lungs of the earth.

Thankfully you have a reliable tree company to call on to help clear the mess & it's probably best not to walk in the wet, there might be ice underneath.