Saturday 29 April 2023

Saturday's Critters

A whirlwind week on  Crumbly Acres! (<= story is there)!   The critters are returning, or becoming more active. I heard gunshots yesterday, it sounded like a single gun doing target practice with 6 shots, a pause and 6 shots. Perfectly legal on your own property, but distressing to the wildlife. Not on the gun range. And shortly thereafter there was a barred owl in our forest. That was lovely to hear. 

Percy goldfish seems quiet, but it is chilly in the goldfish pond. 

We've still a leaking, broken outdoor tap, but they are slammed, like all the trades, and won't get a plumber until next Friday. 

Our arborists were to come today, but we've heavy rains. We'll see what happens. 

The gray tree frogs are awake! They call for females to breed, then hop down to the wetland to lay eggs.

When we were cleaning out the garage, I could hear it. I was worried it was in the garage, but it is inside the wheel of the garden hose!

froggie from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I could hear the gray tree frog, it took a couple of days to figure out where it was! He was there last year, too.

tree frog in the water barrel! from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I've since removed this handy little bird bath, thank you AC, but before I did it had a visitor! Every time we are in the garage, it keeps trying to get in at the bird seed. There is only a little left, soon I'll wind all that down. Our bear hasn't come back, good thing.

 

Dratted Red Squirrel from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The cardinal is still banging away on the windows, fighting his shadow. No bugs there, just a possible rival for his mate's attention! He does this on our picture window, as well. The cats rush to the window!

   

 In and on Golden Pond:

 



Saturday's Critters # 489  <= visit more critters here! Thanks to Eileen for hosting. 

21 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Why do squirrels have to be just so darned cute??!! YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,
The tree frogs are so cute. It is great to have the wood ducks so close to home. Cute shot of the squirrel at the bath. The Cardinals banging against the windows are so silly. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Mae Travels said...

tree frogs are neat, even if they are finding places where you don’t welcome them.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...things are looking great at Crumbly Acres!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You have a lot of critter action going on.

The room where I tutor at a local school has a window and every now and then a cardinal keeps running into it from the outside. The kids love it and I keep thinking about the headache the bird is getting.

RedPat said...

I'm surprised the frogs are out already. It seems so cool for them.

Anvilcloud said...

So the old bath is still holding up.

Karen said...

I've had to put stickers on most of the downstairs windows, other than the bedroom and bathroom, that is. In the living area have large windows and wide open spaces so the birds see free air. Some of them seem to attack the livingroom window too, so I suspect that is the same behavior your red fellow is showing.

Cloudia said...

I so appreciate my visits to your world! Jenn!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I hope everything goes good this coming week. It's always something to take care of with a house and land. Love your videos and all the neat sightings!

Nancy J said...

The squirrel, he is really so cute , and that look as he stands up, we paws showing. " I just wanted a wee drink " !!!

Jeanie said...

Your world is waking up. I suppose if you shoot on your own property one can't do anything about it, but I do hate that sound!

Elephant's Child said...

How I love your critters.

Divers and Sundry said...

We had a toad on our patio! First one in almost 20 years here! I thought of you and all your delightful frogs :)

DeniseinVA said...

I like your welcome sign very much Jenn. Sweet photo of the drinking critter. He’s a cute one! I know they are not everyone’s cup of tea but I do find the naughty little things endearing. The cardinal was having a great time. I have been watching ours this morning. The goldfinches are the only ones who fly into our windows. Had a couple of incidents but fortunately nothing more than a quick bounce and off into the trees, leaving a few tiny yellow feathers behind on the glass. I put decals on the windows but to no avail. Fun post, thanks Jenn.

Christine said...

Lots of activity where you are now

Red said...

You'd have to look pretty hard to find any frog around here. No frogs calling this spring. Sad.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Shiju Sugunan said...

These tree frogs are absolutely adorable and the squirrel taking a bath is too cute for words.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Northern Leopard Frogs seem to be everywhere here and the Spring Peepers are in full voice.

William Kendall said...

That squirrel is adorable.