Tuesday 18 April 2023

Ditch diving

Saturday Morning 

Yes, it is time for clean up. Prior to mosquito season, after the ditch snow has evaporated is ideal. I took off around 10:30 and returned at 12:10. I ought to book a massage this week! We'd rain coming Monday, and I thought it prudent to go out now.

Lots of birds, 3 song sparrows, crows, a pair of ducks, geese, Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, and the kestrel screaming as it flies overhead.

Several people waved, one honked his horn, one couple yelled encouraging words. Then there was the woman, in a small car, holding up her pink iPhone photographing me down in the ditch! Most cars and trucks pull away from the line, to give me space. One large camper went by, having come from a nearby road, turned onto the highway and gunned the engine. Motorcycles, singles, doubles, and couples, as well as groups. One dude had his radio blaring. What is with that?!

I came up with a new strategy. Leaving the wagon near my starting position, I walked in the ditch and threw stuff into my yellow bags. The ditch is wet in spots, but mostly mucky and bumpy. As I walked, I tossed the beer cans up onto the shoulder of the highway. Then, I walked back to fetch the wagon, and picked the beer cans up as I moved along to my next spot. It was a better strategy, as I didn't have to sort what I collected. Only one beer can drifted back into the ditch.


There was the roaring of traffic, but I could hear the wood frogs in the swamp, as well. 

Sunday

I went out for another hour and a half. Starting at 10, this time. There was more traffic as the time wore on. People passing, noisy motorcycles... 

I did see a couple biking. The dude was in front, he said "Hi!" The woman following actually said, "Thank you!" I thanked her back, sort of a You Too moment! ! 

One dude on a bike didn't even see me. I said, "Morning!" and nothing. He was 10' away from me! I don't think he was focusing on his environment, except for the cars! Perhaps.


I keep my wheelbarrow on the shoulder of the road. It's a bit of a marker for my presence. Not that it stopped the truck, second in front, from passing the white car right near me. You can hear them gun the engine, and pass. I plug my ears.

Rather than showing you the garbage, how about seeing a clean ditch?! You can see how steep the ditches are.
 


Three bags full, and two containers of mostly beer cans. I think I sunburned my shoulders! I cleaned out 815 metres on both sides of the highway – over the two days. 

Monday

I heard a barred owl sing at 6:30 a.m. Just the long call, not "Who-cooks-for-you!" Up I popped, getting dressed. It was garbage day, here is my haul. We pay if we put out more than two bags of garbage. Tim Horton donate the bags, that are free for us to put out. 

This is a selfie with the new phone. It was only 12 C. Monday morning. I am glad I was out in the warm sun on the weekend.


15 comments:

Tom said...

...ditches collect a lot of trash over the winter.

William Kendall said...

Well done.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
While it is undoubtedly a pain in the proverbial that folks are so disgusting about spreading their litter, I am sure there is a certain satisfaction in seeing your tidy ditch and all the benefit of fresh air and exercise! Brava, that lady!!! YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

It is nice of you to get out there and clean up, 3 bags that is a lot of trash. Have a great day!

Divers and Sundry said...

It's actually some small comfort to hear that other people suffer the mosquitoes, too...

That's a lot of trash! The clean ditch must've been satisfying :)

Barbara Rogers said...

Ah the clean ditch, the lady who did all that bending and throwing and collecting, and a selfie with her haul! Have a good Tuesday!

RedPat said...

You are impressive. Thank you for doing so much hard work for your community.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for your work. And a huge sigh at the garbage tossers who have clones the world over.

Jeanie said...

I worry about drivers. They're so angry these days, always in such a hurry. (I worry about Rick on the road with them, too). And now I'll worry about you and your wheelbarrow! But you are doing great work -- I wish you had that massage, too.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

trying to think what it is called?? we are allow once a year to have a large garbage pick up ...that was Monday ...so up to 50 lbs. but we didn't have any un-normal items ...i am seeing that i can log in to google chrome and comment no problem. not sure if you are keeping up with my commenting woes ...i don't know why msn and google chrome can not play nice together?? can't we get along. so silly. but i think that must be the issue. kind of frustrating to have to log in to 2 different platforms. but i am seeing others have to do that as well. thanks for the comment on my glasses. i have pick up a few from Dollar Tree just readers i guess they call them. ( ;

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have narrow steep ditches, good for you cleaning up!

The Furry Gnome said...

Good work!

Anvilcloud said...

It’s a good thing that you do.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Well done for doing that! It's a hard task and a shame it needs to be done.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I applaud you and your continued efforts to keep the ditches clean near your home. Good for you, Jenn.