Wednesday 19 April 2023

The marathons

After my marathon garbage pick up, I have a better marathon upon which to report. 

 Jesse, in Vancouver, ran in the 39th annual 10 K Sun Run!  He was one of 35,000 runners! 

I remember going on runs with son Jesse, on weekends back in the day. I loved running. He would run rings around me. We'd jog around the neighbourhood; he'd go on ahead, circle back, and visit me. I think that was in Nepean. My knees preclude this now. That, and shin splints from softball; tendonitis, after biking too much. Those were the days! 

One can order photographs or a video from the marathon. I figured the video might be fun. He appears in the video at 16 - 18 second, 49 seconds. More or less. He's wearing a dark ball cap, dark windbreaker and pants. It gives you a notion of being there!

I sent him a cheery message, he trained as an actor (BFA), and work as a financial planner:

        "All the best for tomorrow! I'll bet 'break a leg' isn't appropriate now! 😻😜 "



The video was a crap shoot. You can order them, but aren't really sure of the quality. They offer photos, but he wasn't really front and centre, and was a blur. He is below, stopping his wristwatch timer. All in black, with a black cap. His orange shirt peeking out. I am so proud of him! He turns 40 next month. 

 

Jesse Sun Run from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Back to home... 

In the forest, I spotted a brown creeper while I was harvesting trailcam cards. This is a screen shot, as I'm never able to capture it in photos, only video. Some marathons are best not taken up!


I moved to the trailcam, and heard a bird singing. I didn't have any idea about what it could be. I recorded it to use with BIRDnet, and it said 'Brown Creeper! ' What could have been more logical?!

We have daffies!


Tulips, nearly!

My so-called Lenten Rose! We are well past Lent. I took these photos with my new phone. Just an experiment.  


This one isn't too bad! It's a lot easier than getting on my belly in the wet, dirty garden!


I pointed out this tulip for JB. It's been here for years. I did not plant it. Each year it would show leaves. Finally, it appears to have a blossom coming along, a marathon? Now,  while the deer have taken off into the forest, you never know when Clover will come back. I'm going to have to put my garden fence up soon.


Yay, spring! Except it is snowing this morning. The plants will be fine, but the warm weather lulled us into a false sense of the season.

🐣The Phoebe nest seems done, but since the colder weather moved in – they have disappeared. Their marathon is not yet done. 

Our federal government employees are on strike. They've been negotiating for two years, another marathon. My pet peeve is the disparity between front line workers, and CEOs. The difference between the workers and CEOs used to be a factor of 100 fold. In recent times, this disparity has gone to 243 times the salary of workers. The average top CEO in Canada made $14 million in 2021.  This is just Calgary:

It's not limited to Canada, either.
From SVSU.edu

14 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Now I know why our gas bills are SO extreme.

Barbara Rogers said...

Not sure how a bird was harvesting trail cam cards...but apparently moving trail cam was the answer. Perhaps just pecking at it...my guess. Oh the dispairity of CEOs. Wish we all were CEOs. Love the new phone photos of pretty daffies and late Lenten Roses.

William Kendall said...

The big marathon weekend here is in late May.

RedPat said...

It looks like it wasn't sunny for the Sun Run. Good for you son to be under the 50 minute mark.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

We don't have any Brown Creepers around here, at least I don't think we do. I wish I would have started a list a birds I've seen decades ago. Is it too late to start?

Elephant's Child said...

Hooray for Spring - and congratulations to all those with the stamina and determination to run a marathon.

Anvilcloud said...

It’s startling how quickly the daffs bloomed. I don’t think I’ve actually ever seen a Lenten rose.

Cloudia said...

Salaries needing to rise and these salaries you point out definitely are way out of whack

Ontario Wanderer said...

I had hoped to do a marathon when I was 80 but gave up the idea a year or so ago. I was still hoping for a half marathon when I finished last year as a 79 year old; however, I had a bad encounter with one of my goats a month ago and have not run since. I have not signed up for the half-marathon yet and don't know if it will be possible. Time will tell. I was pleased to do a marathon at 75 and still got my half marathon last year under 3 hours.

DUTA said...

I like the video with the Marathon. Kudos to your son Jesse!
You have every reason to be proud of him and his performance.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Huge congratulations to your son. My tulips have bloomed and are already dying out for this year.

WAges need to be given to the workers in proportion to CEOs.

Lorrie said...

Congrats to Jesse. My brother and niece ran in the same marathon. I'm not a runner at all, but I love walking.
Our hellebores, aka Lenten Roses are lasting and lasting after beginning to bloom about a month ago.

Jeanie said...

Three cheers to Jesse! AND to your daffs for surviving the winter and bringing that bright spark of color! Isn't it good to see spring blooms again!

Divers and Sundry said...

I like the little birds like creepers that dart around and up and down :) Your flowers are pretty.