Sunday 2 April 2023

March walkies

Farewell, March.  I was headed out last week, and thought I'd take Cinnamon for walkies. I asked 'WALKIES?', and he was all perky and excited, and ran to the door. We haven't gone walkies in ages. He is a fair weather walker, unlike our previous cats! 

Around the house it is melting in the south-facing microclimate, and the tulips, and daffodils, are doing well. This is March 22nd vs. March 29 and April 1st. This morning it is -8 C., and they are going to rest for a bit!

 




Down at the highway, my daffies are arising in the warmth of the sun. In hindsight, I should have bought the bigger daffodils, as these get lost under the maple tree. 

Non-mental note, I must get the former wood duck nesting box baffle off of the dead tree. It looks incongruous.

I took some photos of the frog pond. It is the great harbinger of Spring around here. It melts on the south-facing side, which gets the most sunshine. The other side is much more frozen.



The edge of the wetland, basking in the sunshine and warmth.


Of course, today, there is likely a bit of ice on it, but it will melt.

You'll wonder how Cinnamon did. Well, he gave up. There was too much snow down in the meadow and the forest, sheltered from the sunshine. He made it down the hill, and turned back. My fair weather walker.


We went into town trying to replace our phone. It keep on crashing during longer phone calls, ScrabbleGo and won't take photos. The screen is cracked, and the paint is flaking off of the back. They didn't have any in stock in town. I'd put on my face and a bra, and was discouraged. 



Coming home, I was working out in the garden, when a neighbour came over with a gift of daffodils, a fundraiser for the hospital. I was happy I was dressed up! We chatted about the gun range, which should resolve soon. I am hopeful!

Saturday afternoon, the temperature rose to 16 C., and I was out in a t-shirt.


13 comments:

William Kendall said...

Cinnamon looks quite comfortable on the couch.

Christine said...

Spring is here!

RedPat said...

Cinnamon knows how to live.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Lots of signs of spring here too. Green shoots are poking up all over and the catkins are lovely.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have some bare ground and green stuff!!

Barbara Rogers said...

There seems to be an issue that people are out with signs in town...I wonder what it is, and which side they are on.

Elephant's Child said...

Spring is such an exciting time of year.

Nancy J said...

Spring has sprung up at your home so quickly. A new phone, what will you get or have to order? I like my iPhone, but every year there is a newer updated model at such high prices. The latest iPhone 14 is as expensive as a laptop now, from NZ $2000, to over $3000.!!! Guess I'll stay with my older one that works so well, and links emails etc with my laptop.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Our Spring Peepers and some Chorus Frogs are singing. Peepers started yesterday and the Chorus Frogs are just starting. Pond was frozen this morning but open in the afternoon. Still not much water in the pond.

Red said...

More than weather is up and down.

Anonymous said...

Cinnamon looks more content being indoors.

He sure is a beautiful cat!

Anvilcloud said...

i now think that the frog pond is bigger than I had previously thought.

Divers and Sundry said...

Signs of spring are a welcome sight!