Thursday 13 April 2023

Doe & Pepper

 It is pleasant doing work outside, again. The Bluebird nest box was sanded. I rehung it Tuesday morning. Phoebe is looking for a nesting spot, as well as the robins. 

In the front yard, a doe decided to help herself to the bird seed. This will come down in May, or whenever bear season begins. – April 10th, the snow is gone, except for behind the house where I would shovel off the upper deck.



Sunday I visited The Point, where land juts out into the wetland. It is so peaceful. The wood duck nesting boxes are ready. The trailcam is up, and we've two pair of ducks on the pond. 


This is for JB. I forbade him to go down there, it is mucky and slippy. After his spill in the fall...

The Point from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


On my walk I spotted a Compton tortoiseshell. Archive photo...




I know this is a perfectly good photo↑, but I appreciate the camouflage in the dead leaves:

compton tortoiseshell from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


📱We've had a busy Wednesday for old farts. New phone, and a new satellite box. 

We've Shaw, who've been bought my Rogers. We are NOT thrilled. What we liked about Shaw is they were a smaller company, with very responsive reps. This is not what we've heard about Rogers. 

🌳 The cats are happy with the changing season. We can open the Muskoka Room door, and leave it open. Nutmeg loves going out there, Cinnamon less so. He's a gentle lad, and likes the sun.

 There is only one problem. I thought  😼OREGANO cat, visiting for a couple of years, had been around. It seems as if it is a different cat. I'm calling him Pepper, as he is quite black. I know black cats roam more, and this is not good. I was playing this video ↓ and Cinn roared to the window. At first I thought it Oregano, but it is a black cat, as the Crumbly Acres camera shows.

Pepper from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Pepper from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

13 comments:

Tom said...

...we have squirrels at our feeders, but not deer.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful butterfly. Laughed at the doe eating the bird seed. Really intent gal! That black cat is gorgeous and looks well fed. Too bad it doesn't have a collar.



DeniseinVA said...

Fun to see the deer standing on her tippy-toes. The Compton tortoiseshell is such a pretty butterfly. An interesting video on how well it is camouflaged. In fact all your videos are enjoyed, thank you.

Nancy J said...

Definitely Pepper wants to be friends!!! Very wet and slippery down in the beyond, good idea to have what I call " Restricted Access".!!! Your days might be slowly warming up, we haven't had a very cold morning for 2 weeks now, the firewood is waiting.

RedPat said...

Any people from Rogers that I have talked to on the phone have always been quite nice so I hope you have good luck with them. Plus they all have been in Canada unlike Bell where their phone people seem to be all over the world and know nothing about what is going on here.

Elephant's Child said...

Enjoy your time outside. I have a huge weakness for black cats (and we almost always have one).

Barbara Rogers said...

Miss Doe must think bird food is close enough to deer food. Pepper is probably living with a neighbor, and he just likes to roam. Glad he wasn't interested in checking out the mice.

Jeanie said...

I hope the cats come to terms. I'm awfully glad I don't have to worry about bears and my bird boxes (though it might be a lure for the deer!)

Lowcarb team member said...

We have cheeky squirrels at our bird feeder but you have a doe!
I do like the (old) photograph of the Compton tortoiseshell.

All the best Jan

William Kendall said...

Pepper is quite striking.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
It is neat seeing the deer at your feeder. Pretty butterfly!
Take care, have a happy day and a great weekend!

Anvilcloud said...

I wonder what happened to Oregano. It can be a tough life.

Divers and Sundry said...

I have strong opinions about free ranging cats allowed to roam. I like the wild birds too much to approve of this.

The deer are persistent lol