Tuesday 25 April 2023

Trip to Kingston

 Monday was a marathon. We drove to Kingston to have lunch with JB's friends of 50 years. There were pop up showers, and it was chilly, but good to get out of the house. Nearly 100 km, it was a bit of a drive for lunch, but a halfway-point for all of us. 

There is still tree damage from the ice storm, but the green grass...

Pop-up showers came and went. This dude thought passing on a double line, in the rain, was called from. He passed the car behind us (he was tailing us) , as well as our car, at the same time. Then, passed the guy in front.

I know this is silly, but, the GREEN everywhere!!!! We had to soak it up.

There was a kestrel on a wire. You'll have to trust me. We saw one in the #2a Tupper Lake Trip: The Wild Center. Happily. We have one nesting around here, if my ears are correct, but it is a fast, flighty critter!



It is wonderful seeing the green grass, and the trees in bloom. Muskoka chairs are ready for warmer temperatures.




We drove by Joyceville Prison, where government workers are on strike. I was in a union for all of my teaching career, president of my occasional teacher union, as well as on the executive of my local group, OCETF. I wrote a post about the disparity between the front line workers and CEOs. 




Soon there will be boaters, cottagers and people celebrating summer! It was a tak chilly, as well as rainy, but spring is there!

Here they await for swimmer, and boaters. The Hydro wires rather ruin it, but it is a dark photo anyway!

There is lots of development on the outskirts of town.

The sky began to brighten as we crossed the city.


Fort Henry has some picketers. 


There was bridge work. We only have three seasons, bugs, construction and snow!



That was a pretty good drive. More another day. Tonight is the meeting with our Planner recommending a deferral on this danged vote on the gun range application. It was good to get away.

13 comments:

Christine said...

Thanks for the drive!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
It is great you are seeing the Kestrel there. I read the Kestrel population was declining. It is good to get out, I enjoy rides on the back roads.
Take care, enjoy you day!

Barbara Rogers said...

Yesterday I was driving along highways with an unplanned trip, and we also marvelled at the wonderful spring greens. They are very vivid going through mountain roads. Your cloudy/rainy drive at least had that. I wonder what prisons do when there is a strike. I mean, somebody has to still do the guarding and all.

RedPat said...

The grass all seems to have turned green over the weekend. And it is growing with the rain we have been having.

Anvilcloud said...

I have to admit that your first mention of "pop up showers" perplexed me. Then I figured it out.

William Kendall said...

Surprisingly I've seen no sign of picketing in the city.

DeniseinVA said...

How super to get together with friends and meeting at a half-way point is the way to go. We have done that with relatives and it makes for a nice ride out and an enjoyable time with friends/relatives in our case. Afte the nice weather we had, it has gone downright chilly now. I am back to winter clothes and here’s me thinking I had put those away until next winter. That’ll teach me, lol! Isn’t it wonderful though that we now have all this lush green around us and the blooms? A real treat to see the kestrel. I enjoyed going along on your trip through your photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Elephant's Child said...

I am glad that you got away. The green of spring (and the blossom) are heart lifters aren't they?
Good luck with the meeting.

Cloudia said...

The union forever! We have to stand up for working people! This was a lovely drive through beautiful green country. Look at the bird of prey!

Red said...

Everybody needs to get out of town once in a while.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Yes, loving the green!

Patio Postcards said...

So many beautiful shades of green. Thanks for taking us a long on your drive.

Jeanie said...

I'll take pop up showers over snow (which we had Monday and yesterday) any day -- so long as that green is there. I laughed when you wrote that because I keep exclaiming the same thing!