Thursday 27 April 2023

Kingston and the Goldfish

A great lunch in Kingston. We made it to Kingston on Monday. It took awhile to find parking – oh, city life! 

Chez Piggy

We had a great lunch, despite the fact that it was crowded and very noisy. We'd planned to meet for 12:30, but arrived at 12:45. The noise level was a shock to me! The other patrons cleared out, and we didn't have to yell to hear one another. It was unsettling for people who haven't eaten indoors for months, but we made it through. It was lovely and a great catch-up visit. 


From there, we went to the pet store, and I bought 4 new fishies. They aren't cheap, goldfish, but they give us such pleasure and it is a hobby I enjoy. I avoided the $35 ones, and bought an older, bigger one for $18, and 3 of the $10 younger ones. I explained that I had Percy, and he needed more friends. She asked if he might eat them, but I explained that there were a couple in the tank he hadn't eaten. Then, we headed home. I was so wrong.


We arrived home from Kingston, and settled in. I popped the fish into the fish tank. You're supposed to let them sit in the tank for a bit, while the water temperature evens out. They are pretty tolerant of temperatures. 

As many of my regular readers know,  spring is the time I pop the goldfish outdoors in their little pond outdoors. Often they mate and produce more fishies. The pond freezes solid in winter, and they cannot last the freeze/thaw out there. The common goldfish don't have longevity. I do try to get the fancier ones. Like Percy. He has grown, and like his namesake, my first father-in-law's piranha, he is aggressive.

 


Numbers had dwindled from 7 to 5 fishies over the last year. You can see↑ one of the small ones that disappeared. I blamed Cinnamon for the missing 2 smaller fish. The poor lad. I was so wrong!


I took some photos with my new iPhone. Not so bad!

 

We were watching TV, and I heard a big splash at the tank. I checked, and Cinnamon wasn't there. What a mistake. At bedtime, I went to the 60 gallon tank to say goodnight and turn out the light. The three smaller fish have been eaten. Percy ate his new siblings. I blamed Cinnamon for eating our smaller one in the fall, but it was Percy Piranha

Bubbles is the only new fishy left

I popped the last remaining newbie into the goldfish bucket overnight. It was late, and I was stressed, worrying about the proposed gun range vote the next day. I worried about Bubbles much of the night, it was clearly traumatized, huddling in the fake aquarium plants. In the morning I had a plan. Percy went out, by himself, into the cool goldfish pond. He doesn't look happy. He will be fine. 

Percy is in the dog house... so-to-speak. It was near zero overnight. He will survive. The pond won't freeze now. He is nestled into the leaf debris and I hope he thinks about what he has done!


The lesson is learned. I'll debate what to do. Maybe Bubbles needs some time to grow indoors. 

14 comments:

Tom said...

...and be sure to check your magnolia.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Crikey - and that must be Percy's secret to his growth! Bubbles will be good, I think. I pray... YAM xx

Jeanie said...

I loved it -- "Percy is in the doghouse." Sounds like that's a good spot for him right now, too. Your trip to Kingston sounds fun -- and productive. I love the pix of the fish. And I'm glad Cinnamon was aquitted of the alleged crimes!

eileeninmd said...

Love all the goldfish, they are so pretty!
Have a great day!

RedPat said...

Percy is a mean one!

Divers and Sundry said...

I _love_ pet stores! They used to have much more variety in creatures so aren't as _much_ fun now, but I still love them. I've had aquaria in the past, and would love to have one again sometime. Ouch on your goldfish losses. What a shame :(

I've always wondered if it might be possible to set up something on my patio that could hold goldfish, but I've not been able to figure out a way to have anything big enough given our hardscape arrangement. It makes me even more appreciative of your posts showing how yours is doing. I guess you'll have to buy bigger, more competitive fish... Anyway, I find your fish tales interesting :)

Christine said...

Jenn you were warned he might eat them!

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn :=)
Oh my goodness what a sad story, your large fish Piranha is well named. I never knew that that could happen. Poor little fish! Now they have been separated all will be well. Your photos are brilliant. I blamed a cat for the loss of my goldfish, but now I'm not so sure.
All the best. Good luck for tomorrow.

Nancy J said...

Oh Dear, well, Percy, you are now in isolation or is it Coventry??? Hope Bubbles is happier, and again, GREART news about the gun range, well done to persevere for so long and gather so many others to object. Your voices collectively were all heard. Guess the saying " Safety in numbers" or something like that paid off.

Elephant's Child said...

Poor Bubbles. When we had a fish tank we often had similar issues.

Anvilcloud said...

You are certainly teaching Percy a lesson. 😀

William Kendall said...

Oh, brother!

DrumMajor said...

Not sure if Percy is as smart as Nemo and Dory...Linda in Kansas

Ontario Wanderer said...

I thought goldfish were about 25 cents each. Guess I have not bought any recently.
Glad you do not have to worry about gunshots next door any more!