Tuesday 4 April 2023

Coyote question, a gift, Monday morn

Barbara had a good question after I sighted the coyote the other day! Yes, the 🐕coyotes hunt 🦌deer, but they can only take the fawns and the sick or wounded deer. The deer use their hooves to fight. Unlike wolves, they don't hunt in packs. Unlike city coyotes, ours are quite wary of humans. There are too many people with guns around here for the coyotes to be calm about humans. The farmers can kill them if they are harassing their livestock, as well.  


What a sweet gift!

It behooves me to remember that there are good people in the world! Few of them make the news! We chatted for an hour in the driveway.

🏇Our neighbours are the Millars of equestrian fame. Ian Millar owns Millar Brooke Farm, with his children, Amy and Jonathon. There is a statue in Perth of Olympic equestrian Ian Millar on his famous horse, Big Ben.

The family has had lots of support by fans near and far. There was good news from Florida. 

Millar Brooke Farm

Jonathon Millar had a horrible fall three weeks ago, while jumping in Florida. He was put into an induced coma, since brought out of it. They reported that he is improving: communicating with facial expressions, hand signals, and speaking. He's begun physiotherapy, as well. He will be moving to another Center, in Atlanta, for more specialized rehabilitation for his brain injury. 

Monday morning did not go well. I pushed the start button on the coffee machine in the dark, in order to have a hot cup after I put the garbage out for 7:30. I was so looking forward to a hot coffee! It was a chilly morning, and it was weeping graupel from the skies. When I came back indoors, I discovered the coffee pot wasn't under the coffee machine. Poor JB was trying to clean it up. I helped out. 

Downtown Ottawa was a bit of a mess, with icy roads. There were dozens of incidents, with cars in the ditch, as well.


I am happy all I have to do is get the garbage out Mondays! We were anticipating the arrival of Aussie Tree Care, to chop up our branches. That was an event! 

12 comments:

Tom said...

...the traffic looks awful!

Anvilcloud said...

Sue almost did that coffee thing the other day but caught it in the nick of time. I recently made a cup without any coffee. A few times I have forgotten the water, but the machine is smart enough to turn itself off so i don't burn the place down.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for 'splaining about the critters! I have at least once let the basket overflow on the coffee maker. Yuk what a mess of coffee grounds. Is you new gifted plant daffodils? So glad to hear that young man is improving after the accident.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...Aussie Tree Care??? Can't wait to read about that one! (Am assuming the carer of trees hails from OZ..) YAM xx

RedPat said...

I try not to drive in weather like that. One advantage of not having to be anywhere on a schedule.

Cloudia said...

So lovely to be able to stay home in your world!

William Kendall said...

I live here, and I had no idea the traffic was like that yesterday.

NatureFootstep said...

love the coyote and so fun to see the deers on their hind legs.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Spring flowers are always a welcome gift.
Oh dear. Looks like slow going traffic.

Red said...

Coyotes here have been known to chase a deer into a chain link fence and the deer is injured or killed.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've had my coffee pot slip and not be under the basket and it backed up. Now I check every time. Kudos to JB.

What a sad story about the young man who fell from his horse horse while jumping. And I was amazed at the number of accidents you shared. You would think people in Canada would know how to drive in ice and snow. That looks like something you would see in the Los Angeles area.

Divers and Sundry said...

Coffee Disappointment! My husband forgot to add water recently. Every once in a while we suffer Coffee Fail lol