Sunday 23 April 2023

We had a visitor!

Our lawn tractor needs servicing, the battery won't start it. Bob came and took it away Friday. Our tree people come back on Tuesday. Barring unforeseen circumstances!

Sunrise on Saturday! It had rained overnight. It was 8˚ C., then warmed up to a very humid 21˚ C., which is a bit much!

Our visitor

🐻First our grandies stopped walking to school through the forest after the ice rain, too many hanging branches in the forest. Now, there are bears in the area! I love that: Do not panic! Indeed. Do not run. They will chase you. You have to be as big as you can. Bells Corners bear update: 
— Ottawa By-law (@OttawaBylaw) April 21, 2023

Speaking of bears, I've been watching for them here. We had rain Saturday morning, and I eagerly looked out to see if the goldfish pond, fed by the water barrel attached to the drain spout, had filled. It had not. I went out in coat and jammies to check. This is what I found... 

 
I had to haul out the drill and reattach the spout to the drain spout. The stick sticks out just in case another chipmunk decided to go for a swim. It wasn't pretty the last time that happened. Oh, the smell.

Back to the garage to fetch the screwdriver and drill. I hooked it all up again. Hoping for the best. The trailcam, just to the left of the water fountain on the septic bed in the background, was out of juice. I'd hoped to see evidence of the culprit. No such luck. 

 


Down to the trailcams I went. This was another sign. I am sure I didn't leave it crooked!
 

He snuffles at the tail end of the video, where he rearranged the camera. They are curious, I think.


After my confirmation of Junior Bear, I looked at the bird feeder again. It looked great from the window, but from the side, it definitely had a lean to it. I'll have to put it away. Bye bye birdies!



It wasn't as bad this time as last time it happened. The new pole is higher, and Junior Bear couldn't get leverage. 

We spent the rest of the day cleaning out the garage. I like to get the bird seed out, which dratted red squirrel has scattered getting into the storage cans. Also, the salt from winter has been accumulating, and I rinsed it out with the hose.

🍕For dinner JB fetched us pizzas. We were pretty tired. He is able to eat a vegan one, which we discovered lately. It's been great. Mine was Hawaiian!  

16 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
OOOOHHHHH - both exciting and a tad concerning to young Bear! ... and now all I can think of is to have pizza today... YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I love seeing the bears. Great capture on your wildlife cam.
We had one bear visit years ago, they are seen in this area too.
Have a happy day and a great new week!

Tom said...

...I like to see bears from a distance.

Anvilcloud said...

Isn’t it nice that we can share our spaces with such creatures? It does the heart good.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh how sweet or maybe some other emotion, to have young Mr. Bear visit. His life is governed so by his nose, and he liked your scent on that trailcam. I guess he knows about all the other critters that come that way too. Glad he didn't knock over the bird feeder. You are smart to do spring housecleaning of the garage. Housecleaning? What's that? I have a vague memory, but am still in hibernation stage I think!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

A bear on your trail cam!! Kind of hard to top that.

Divers and Sundry said...

Bears! Yikes!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Bears are very curious, they will sniff, touch and taste just about everything they see. For the most part, they are timid and afraid of humans but I have been treed by one once. I love bears and wish we had some around here. Well, except for the destructive part.

Jeanie said...

I don't think I'm self-sufficient enough to live in the country like you! The bears would freak me out! Hope the new bird feeder holds. Be BIG out there!

Elephant's Child said...

Oooh. What an exciting visitor to have.

RedPat said...

I'm glad that I don't have bears to worry about and just deal with squirrels.

William Kendall said...

The bear looks in fine form.

Ontario Wanderer said...

I heard a rumour of a bear here in the Brantford area last week. I have my doubts. As far as I know there has only been one within 30 km in the last few years.

Hena Tayeb said...

Ooh naughty little bear.

Red said...

The critters keep you on your toes and provide some interesting entertainment.

River said...

I like bears but I'm glad I don't live near any.