Thursday 20 April 2023

Made it to Thursday!

 'Spring' unfolds as it should. It is a tad chilly. The spring bulbs will be fine. Can you see the daffodils?! 



It snowed, not enough to accumulate, which is good. We expect heavy snow in three provinces today!

In our hot weather, I took away the heated bird bath topper (thank you, AC!), and filled the cement bird bath. As we watched the forecast, I realized that it was going to freeze. I ran out in the cold and the dark and drained it. Me bad.

 The snow blower is put away! The battery is shot in the lawn tractor, and our repairman is picking it up on Friday. I think it is the battery. I recharged it three times, and finally noticed a message: F03, which means it has leaked inside it. 

battery recharger

Bob will take care of it for us. He'll load the lawn tractor up on his trailer, after pushing it past all the tree debris, and have his dude in the shop work on it. He's not a young man, and I feel badly, I usually try to have it nearer the driveway.

Our arborists cancelled for yesterday. There are staffing issues, they've been working double shifts. The branches aren't going anywhere! I texted Caitlin: 

I summoned some energy, and toottled on down to the frogpond. I still hadn't remembered to check for the tool I might need to rescue the dead tree from the raccoon baffle. I took ANOTHER photo to remind me. When I upload the photos, it is my non-mental note, which doesn't work well these days! Anyway, I was sure I had stapled it to the tree, but I'd used roofing nails. The metal of both from a stove pipe, and the red bit from old eavestrough, were well stuck on the tree. 

Off I went up to the house, pleased with myself. When I arrived, I figured if not now, when? Back down I went, with my late father's red hammer, and ripped it all off. It looks so much better not being there. Incongruous, I thought. In hindsight, I should have taken gloves!


No more action on the part of the phoebes. The nest looks lovely. After I wrote this, I noticed them out back. This is where the lawn tractor is stored, as well as the snow blower.

phoebe nest from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I found another partial nest under the deck. I wondered if it was a new pair or he was giving her a choice. It was somewhat chilly these last few days. 

They are lovely little nests, made of moss and mud and twigs. 

One of the goldfish is on its last legs. We haven't gotten around to a field trip to look for more. We've 5 left, and numbers are dwindling.

Pepper hasn't come back since April 12th. 

 

Pepper from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We shall see what today brings! I hope you have a good one.

15 comments:

Tom said...

...putting the snowblower away is a sure sign of spring.

Barbara Rogers said...

Happy Thursday up there! It always looks so busy at your home.

RedPat said...

There always seems to be a lot of activities at your place.

Red said...

Your days are busy with a variety of activities. It's the way to be when you're retired.

William Kendall said...

I imagine Pepper can smell that the house has cats.

Cloudia said...

Always exciting at your place! Jenn

Anvilcloud said...

Our birdbath was frozen over this morning.

Nancy J said...

I saw this somewhere the other day, the man had combed his huge fluffy ginger and white cat, tootled outside with huge Ginger Boy in his arms, had a mesh bag of the fur and hung it on a tree, and the bird came and plucked ( pardon the pun) a beak full to line a nest. That is real life recycling !!! Pepper, he needs a friend called salt, maybe he is wanting to come inside. The tree cleaners, what words.!!!Someone is very smart today or was it yesterday?

Divers and Sundry said...

I do enjoy your bird photos. Such a variety! and you get such good pictures :)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You have a lot going on!!

Elephant's Child said...

Yet another busy day. Stay warm, stay safe.

DrumMajor said...

Your tree people puns are cute! Use gloves! I like using my Dad's old tools too. Linda in Kansas

Ontario Wanderer said...

An interesting spring indeed; cold, hot, cold, warming slowly again.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Goodness. You have had disappointment after disappointment on Thursday. IL sincerely hope Friday is a better day.


Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Caitlin's texted comment is too cute! Brilliant girl.