Monday 3 April 2023

In the air, and on land

🇺🇦 War on Ukraine

I reiterate how grateful I am to live in the peace and quiet of the country. FlightRadar24 is watching the air space around Ukraine, especially after the US drone was pissed on by a Russian jet. They have changed the way the UN countries watch air space, as the blog post demonstrates. The US Navy has been circling, keeping an eye on them, just not over the Black Sea. 


Spring

More shoots! These are daffodils. 

With April 1st being at 16 C., the eaves was dripping, and overflowing. I put it down to the thaw and overnight freeze. Climbing the ladder, I checked it out. I figured out that if I drained even some, it would lessen the clog. I may need to climb up on the roof. We shall see. 

It was just pouring over the side and onto the deck. This is our nearly new eaves. The garden hose worked, getting a syphon was the trick. It took me three tries!


I seemed to have drained itself in the evening. Sunday morning it didn't look too bad. 

Coyotes at home

The coyotes like the edge of the wetland, where the snow melts and walking is more comfortable. Here is proof!

Our deer have been scarce lately. They are eating the dead grass in the yard. Friday morning, around 7 a.m., JB went outside and spotted a coyote in the back 40. It ran away. An hour later (8 a.m.), I went to the kitchen window, while my bagel toasted, and saw 4 deer staring down the hill. I spotted a coyote. Out on the back deck, in my housecoat and jammies, I filmed the deer. I did not see Chad Coyote again! Whew. 

You can see the doe's breath in the cold. April 1st, 2023.

coyote alert from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Around 11:00, JB came back from his walkabout at the arena, and spotted a coyote crossing the highway further down the road. Having fetched trailcam SD cards, I eagerly processed it, and found two sightings of a coyote. That second clip shows the coyote I saw Saturday. It is the right timing. This is only the third time, since 2010, that I've seen one in the daytime. 

coyote tracks from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Sure enough, two coyotes on the trailcam.

17 comments:

Tom said...

...winter still has its grip on things.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Hubby needs to check on our gutters, they may need a cleaning.
Love the deer! The coyotes seem to be everywhere now.
Take care, have a wonderful week!

Anvilcloud said...

Exciting times for sightings.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
The deer are definitely paying attention! I guess spring means the coyote will also have young to feed... YAM xx

Christine said...

love to see the spring flowers come up, the crocuses were first in my garden.

Patio Postcards said...

You are so lucky to have the deer so close. Yeah to signs of daffodils getting ready for a showing.

Barbara Rogers said...

Do the coyotes bother the deeer? I see those deer had their eyes off looking at/for something away from you.

William Kendall said...

The deer are quite watchful.

RedPat said...

I hope the coyotes continue to stay away during the daytime. The deer were sure paying attention.

Elephant's Child said...

My heart aches for Ukraine and its people.

Hena Tayeb said...

Our daffodils just bloomed over the weekend.. spring is here!

Cloudia said...

I am grateful to visit your peace and quiet!

Jeanie said...

It's nice seeing ground in your world! Even if a little. I'm terribly worried about Ukraine and people forgetting it. Especially here in the states where we seem to have our own orange issues going on and so much turbulence. Putin cannot be allowed to win.

Red said...

there must be something near your place that is good to eat for coyotes.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I take it the deer are afraid of the coyote. Great videos.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Green sprouts are fun to see!

Divers and Sundry said...

We have coyote and deer here, but I never see them. Only the occasional road kill on the city outskirts.