Monday 25 July 2022

What a weekend!

I left it too late to do laundry to hang it outdoors with all confidence. In this heart, rain is most welcome. Stuffing a load in, I put the towels and underwear in the dryer. Hung the other thing on the line, ready for a quick rescue. I even remembered to START the dryer this time. 😸

Sunday morning, there was a dead mouse on the living room floor. The cats can do their jobs indoors!

My veggie gardening days are done. No more wrestling with Fred groundhog, who likes to rip the plants out by the roots, and eat only 3 leaves. He visited on Saturday.

FRED: 

Fred groundhog from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I can do cherry tomatoes. Here is JB harvesting his lunch!



 I was up early Sunday morning, there was no point in trying to sleep. I had a nightmare, and gave up after listening to the radio for an hour. I tracked the kids' planes. (See below, they had three flights)

I found friends on the back deck in the predawn.



🦉 Down in the forest I could hear the barred owl call at 5 a.m. That was sweet.

📺 We finished watching Spooks on Friday, and went back to find the latest season of Shetland. The scenery is amazing. 

We've still issues with the new eavestrough. It sags in the middle, right over the door. I've emailed them with videos. 

Eavestrough 1.2

eavestrough from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


eavestrough 2.0 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We had a massive storm Sunday night. Lots of lighting, power outages. There were 38,000 without power when we went to bed. This morning, that is down to 5,000. There was 12 mm rain.

🚨TORNADO🚨
It has been confirmed that a Tornado has touched down in Marmora with multiple homes being destroyed. Gas leaks and powerlines down. Multiple reports of damage from high winds including a fallen tree in Cambellcroft near Ganaraska road that has people trapped in their vehicles with live hydro wires on top.
Two people have gone to Campbellford hospital with injuries sustained from their trailer flipping over on its roof during the Tornado.

The Tiger Lillies look great. We'll have to get Izzy here to do a reprise of her 2020 photo!

It is too hot to work outdoors. JB has been cleaning out stuff, paperwork and clothes. The heat is so oppressive, thank goodness for air conditioning. 

I am a bit scattered these days.  I lost something, and, as is the way, found something else when I was looking for it. I found the foot brace I lost and had to replace. Turns out it was in my office/store room, but the box was empty! I've lost the fan he gave me for my birthday. 

I found another treasure, this box, which I'd carefully tucked away in my end table. It was the perfect time. A clever design, you fill in the blanks with personal messages for loved ones. I chose the 'Read me when you miss me' envelope. It was really touching. She is an amazing daughter! 


Our Fierce Travelers

There was some US air traffic based out of Crete. Good to know people are on duty.

Their travel end this week. They left Ottawa July 5th  => 🛫 Toronto => 🛫New York City => 🛫Istanbul => Athens ⛴ => Heraklion => 🚘Chania => 🛩 back to Athens => 🛩 Istanbul => 🛫Amsterdam. That latest trek on July 24th had them on 3 flights in one day. They are mighty world travelers.

The Istanbul airport lounge is amazing. They are now in Amsterdam, doing touristy things.


14 comments:

Tom said...

...I am still waiting for my tomatoes to ripen, we had some rain last night.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The little creatures we love so much can sure wreak havoc in a garden. This year they don't seem to have been too destructive here, much to my wife's relief.

Patio Postcards said...

A bumper crop of cherry tomatoes. As a card maker I like those Read Me When You Miss Me cards; they sound perfect notes of cheer especially for those that never know what to say in a short note. What a pain having to now deal with getting resolution for the newly installed eavestroughs ...

Anvilcloud said...

The newest season of Shetland will be dropping soonish. It will be the last season of the lead actor, but apparently they will continue the series.

RedPat said...

We got heavy rain for about 10 minutes but not much wind.

Barbara Rogers said...

How nice of you to plant those Fred Foods for him. Weather hasn't been quite as bad here...and we keep having surprise showers which sometimes cool things off and add humidity when we go back into 80s again.

Divers and Sundry said...

The tomatoes are mouth-watering. We're in drought here, and rain sounds delightful. I do enjoy seeing the frogs :) I haven't seen one in person since my last visit to a state park.

Christine said...

Glad to get rain. Good looking tomatoes. Fun to hear of their travels.

Gaelyn said...

Fred is adorable, but not in a garden. Those are lousy rain gutters, unless you want to shower on the front steps.

Elephant's Child said...

Home grown tomatoes are the best.
And yes, critters can be incredible garden vandals (and I continue to love them).
I hope you get your eaves fixed. Soon.

Nancy J said...

The eavestrough might need more brackets, they should come and do that at NO charge!!! Love the cherry tomatoes, I grew small ones in buckets one year, had so many, and I pout water retaining granules in the potting mix first.That worked so well.

William Kendall said...

We had that storm system too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My cherry tomatoes are still green, but at least they are not eaten by the groundhog critters.

Your family are truly globetrotters. It must be a trip of a lifetime.

NatureFootstep said...

lol, love cherry tomatoes and frogs. :)