Tuesday 12 July 2022

Flower time!

As I prepare this post, we have glorious rain! Thunder and lightning. 

It cleared off in an hour.



My canna lily was tipping over, it's been hot and dry. 



I've been watering in the cool of the afternoon or morning, depending upon my schedule. It seems to be helping. This morning, 16.5 mm of rain, only 21 mm this whole months. Usually we get more than that.

We have had grandies, and critter posts. Time for some flowers. The petunias in the basket are doing well. The primrose is good, but much of the garden has needed watering.

Clover, the deer, has decimated my hosta, but I have saved the lilies with the fence. Cluny named the momma doe! 

 My other rose bush isn't doing well. It was decimated by the caterpillars last year, but regrew later in the season. I was sure it would come back.
 One out of two ain't bad. Look at my roses! It's a bush that has hung in, after the LDD caterpillars attacked in 2021.

Monday morning the roses were gone, but not the lilies! Hah! Fooled you, deerios. At least I have photos! Isn't nature grand?! 


Caitlin and family are flying from Istanbul to Athens this morning. They took off around 6:20 our time. There is a 7 hour difference. They'll spend several days in Greece before taking a ferry to Heraklion.
Caitlin has a whole spreadsheet of their 3-week travels, with their flights, accommodations, and planned activities. The adventure continues.

14 comments:

Tom said...

...your lilies are gorgeous. I think that we got 10 raindrops overnight!

Anvilcloud said...

CP has gone into the Red zone as far as water supply goes. I don’t know exactly what that means bc it doesn’t affect us much, for we don’t water the lawn.

One advantage of being hearing impaired is that thunder tends not to wake me. I don’t whether or not we had it here last night, but we did have rain.

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely flowers all, and fodder for the deer. That makes them all day flowers like day lilies. Speaking of which, good idea to save them to enjoy by humans.

Jeanie said...

We had rain yesterday too. Today is still up for grabs and chilly, though I am seeing some sun break out. I think better for a walk than a swim. Your garden blooms are spectacular!

RedPat said...

The lilies are wonderful. We only got a sprinkle of rain last night.

Divers and Sundry said...

I've been having to water daily here, too, with the continuing drought and record highs.

Lovely lilies! So much color :)

Christine said...

Glad you got rain it missed us on my area

Karen said...

I didn't bother with petunias this year, opting for some new stuff: coleus, impatiens and fuchia. I keep the geraniums over from year to year. They are all in flower now. The Asiatic lilies are in bloom. Around the time they finish the star gazers will start. LOVE lilies!
We had some storm overnight but just periods of rain today. Always thankful for that.

Elephant's Child said...

Hooray for life giving rain. You can almost hear the garden heave a sigh of relief can't you?

Nancy J said...

Lilies, these would grace any florist's window!!! Beautiful colours, and saved from anyone wanting a tastier meal. Travel, what an adventure, and you can see where they are with Flight Tracker every time they are in the air.

William Kendall said...

I did hear some thunder hereduring the day.

Kay said...

You have so many gorgeous varieties of lilies. They are going to love Turkey. That was one of our BEST trips.

River said...

Is it possible to fence the entire garden from the deer instead of individual plants?

Patio Postcards said...

I am most grateful that we also received some rain on Monday. Your lilies are goregous. Do you spray or dust your roses. I know there are products out there that do not bother the bees and/or butterflies. I was pleased to see that some of my lilies came back after years of the battle with the red (nasty) lily bug. Mine are right now fattening buds with the promise of a good flower count. Just need to keep the new pestilent at bay; Japanese Beetles!