Tuesday 19 July 2022

Sunday was a beauty of a day!

This is my two-day behind blog! 

I decided the best idea was to water the garden in the morning. I meant to do it after dinner the day before, but you know how that goes. Doing that, I even rinsed out the Bluebird nesting box, leaving the doors open for it to dry. We don't seem to have any more takers. It's a great design. Both side doors open.

It was a hot day! The air conditioner is on.

I washed floors, kitchen and bathroom, did kitty litter, and set the laundry to start in a half hour. We try to space out our well water use. JB asked if he should fill the water fountain now, or wait until the laundry is done. I explained that I 'post-dated' the laundry, and he could do it now. Where does this expressive language problem come from?! He knew what I meant, though, so that is the important thing.

One of my chores was to trim the weeds on either side of the driveway. I spotted a red squirrel (DRS) having a nap in the tree! It was a bit tricky to photograph it, but it is evidence. Can you see the little thing? They must be hot with those fur coats. She just looked exhausted.

     

While the bugs are bountiful, the berries are lovely. The cedar waxwings and the robins love them.

I cleaned the goldfish pond pump out front, and spotted a gray tree frog on the side of the house.
   

The back deck is busy. I found a Bee Fly that had hatched in the aquarium. I am waiting to see if the tiger moth arises from its cocoon. So far, just two bee flies!
There was a huge grasshopper on the Hops vine.


The backyard is looking pretty dry, but the Bugloss is attracting bees, the Monarch, moths. They are hardy weeds. It buzzes with activity. I love those colours!

As I sat and read, I looked up and spotted a red-tailed hawk, which beat a retreat back into the forest. I think it spotted me and flew away in haste.

The hanging planter is looking fine. The Begonia looks sharp. As I watered it, I found Maple the tree frog. She was on the move.


Also on the back deck was an Eastern Comma caterpillar.

I noticed maybe a leaf hopper, along with eggs, and the comma caterpillar. When I went back to it, not a great photo with the video camera, but you could see it laying eggs. Also, the caterpillar has gone into chrysalis. This was Sunday, it'll be about 10 days like this. I know they turn black the day prior to emerging. You can see the colours. I made a video of the process way back when: Eastern Comma Instar .

I made a mistake of putting the orchid too far into the sun. There is a burn spot. Me bad. It has a lovely long branch growing out, I'm hoping for more flowers! 

Crete

In the meantime, Caitlin and her family have gone from:  New York => Istanbul => Athens => Heraklion, Crete. Today they are driving from Heraklion to Chania. 

The food looks wonderful. Lunch on a patio under a tree! Tis the season. 


They went to a fancy place for dinner. Isn't this beautiful? It reminds me of the restaurant in Brockville, with a similar plexiglass half wall to look out of. 
JL had a slick new haircut. 

18 comments:

Tom said...

...those red honeysuckle berries may be colorful, but the birds will help spread the seeds and you will honeysuckle everywhere.

Elephant's Child said...

LOVE your critters. All of them.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You have been busy. I am exhausted just reading about it! That does look like a great design for a nestbox.

Barbara Rogers said...

I love that you catch the most tiny little critters!

Olga said...

Such a wide ranging and enjoyable post!

Christine said...

It is really hot today! Lucky kids in the mediterranean.

Christine said...

It is really hot today. Lucky kids in the Mediterranean!

RedPat said...

Now how would the tree frog manage to get up into the hanging planter? Love your shot of the hawk.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good question, Pat! Perhap she went on the overhang and jumped down? I was thinking that myself.

Lorrie said...

There is so much life in a single plot of land, if only we take the time to observe. Your kids look like they are having a great time on their vacation!

Nancy J said...

What an adventure the family are having, my teenage years' holidays were spent on the farm, either helping with hay making, or feeding out silage, or helping in the cowshed. Occasionally my cousin who lived about 3 hours away came to stay, after a town life, the farm days must have seen very dull. I loved every day out there with cows, calves and paddocks . Your yard looks lovely, deep blue flowers for bees and insects alike.

William Kendall said...

I imagine a lot of critters rest from around nine until fouror five in the afternoon.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have been busy and have lots of wildlife to watch. Hope your Orchid recovers:)

River said...

Love the red tail hawk. My daughter once got to watch a butterfly emerge from its chrysalis, it walked onto her fingers and began to stretch its wings as she walked outside to let it go on the borage flowers.

Jeanie said...

We all need days like that -- they can be hard work days but productive. LOVING your cedar waxwing. I haven't seen any of those this year.

Divers and Sundry said...

Your frogs and insects make me smile :) I'm trying to provide a more welcoming habitat here, but I'll never get frogs, I know, so your photos are a real treat.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm in catch-up mode, but will probably have to leave before I finish reading everything.

Enjoyed seeing the begonia, which is doing better than mine. I hope your orchid makes it.

MY AC is on all the time now with my temps in the triple digits here. About 42 C in your world.

Gosh, your family is really touring the middle east. I love the look of all that food and drink they are sharing. It looks yummy.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Such fun to read -- you are so busy!! The rhody in your header shot is magnificent!