Saturday 16 July 2022

House Wren action!

July 13th I decided I should clear it out. This is the super duper Bluebird nesting box, with two sides that open up. It is a clever design. We've not had bluebirds, though! 


The House Wrens began renovations in June, stuffing it with sticks. You can see what it looked like full of sticks. This prevents other, bigger birds from invading. This side opens for viewing, the other side doesn't have the divider and is great for easy cleaning.

This is what was in the nest. I did some cleaning out, after researching it. I thought it best to clean it out. There were moths, droppings, and debris. Often our wood duck nest boxes have buggy invaders. They suggest washing them out with soap and water or a hose,  but that'll require a bucket. Maybe today! 
There was one egg left. 

OK, back to the action. As I sat on my deck, I can hear the twitters and trills of the House Wrens. It is lovely. June 18th we were anticipating the gutter replacement, the birds having done some nice renos to the green nesting box, decided to abandon it. I don't blame them. It was quite noisy. You can see a couple of sticks poking out. They stuff it to stop bigger birds from getting in. 

July 13th, I noticed the absence of sticks, they'd been moved. (Nice new eavestrough, though!) They've been at it. I don't know, I wonder if it is the same pair or another one?  


The action was fun to watch. Teeny birds, and big sticks!

House wren nest building from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This is nest building in nest box #2. It is fascinating, and hard work.

house wren nest #2 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Just after I cleaned the nest, I spotted a pair of brown-crested flycatchers on top of the box.  

Brown-crested flycatcher from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


  A sparrow was having a bath in the water fountain. It's a popular spot for birds. I had an oriole there📹 last week. Also, a male rose-breasted grosbeak📹. I saw the robin chase away the female grosbeak, too.

sparrow from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Saturday's Critters # 448 <= if you like critters! Thanks to Eileen for hosting.

18 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The House Wrens are such busy birds, cute photos. I love the flycatcher too.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Tom said...

...fun tenants!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I always enjoy having House Wrens around. They are pugnacious, cheerful little birds and defend their territories well. And they sound wonderful too.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
It's truly absorbing to watch the whirring of nature! You need one of your camera traps pointed at the nesting box because clearly there is stuff going on!!! YAM xx

Rain said...

I love seeing the Wren in the green box! Very neat, and I"m jealous of your gutters! I don't have any yet, that'll probably happen next year! ☺☺

Divers and Sundry said...

Your wrens are fun to watch, and your fountain must help in attracting birds :) We get Carolina wrens here but haven't seen any lately. I miss them; they're such perky birds!

Anu said...

Hello. The house wren looks like a cute bird. That green birdhouse/nesting box is beautiful.
Have a nice weekend.

Elephant's Child said...

What a privilege to see. Thank you for sharing.

RedPat said...

Sweet shot of the House Wren poking its head out of the green box.

Phil Slade said...

It seems that the wren family of birds is the same the world over. Always busy, noisy, demonstrative and entertaining. Our Common Wren is just the same.

William Kendall said...

You have good company around.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

We have had two groups of house wrens this spring and summer. Such loud singers they are!

Red said...

Wrens put in an incredible amount of energy in building a nest. They can carry some huge twigs.

River said...

I like your water fountain. We don't put up nest boxes here, our birds are too big and just make big nests up in the trees where we can't see them.

Cloudia said...

Always so delightful to be with you. Jenn

Ontario Wanderer said...

Love the viewing idea for the birdhouse!

Jeanie said...

None of my bird houses have removable bottoms, unfortunately. I shudder at the mess within!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Cooling off in the summer...how cute! And I love the birdhouse!