Friday 15 July 2022

Flyers and critters large and small

 We had the nicest young man come to inspect our furnace and A/C. With backwards ball cap, long hair to his shoulders, he complimented us on the gardens; the biodiversity and our ornaments. It was so sweet! 

OK, the flyers. The eastern comma and question mark butterflies are doing their thing. There are caterpillars on the hops vine. 



They are such amazing butterflies, with camouflage when wings are closed, and lovely colours when they are open.

The scarlet tanager was dancing, doing water ballet in the fountain.  It attracts a lot of birds I wouldn't normally see.



The doe and fawn amble in the dappled forest.

doe and fawn from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The young buck wandered along, as well:

buck in the forest from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I put a dead sparrow down by the trailcam. Nutmeg brought it to us. Normally we try let her out at 5:30, and bring her in for the day. Cinnamon just sits on the deck escaping the deerflies. We are part of the circle of life. 

I put the little body down in the forest. The barred owl took it. I was amazed. 

BARRED OWL from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Athens

The kids, now in Athens, are enjoying their trip. They have another day there and then take an overnight ferry to Heraklion.

Their room has a built in sauna! The water and the architecture amaze us all. JL snapped his fingers, and the kids up in the theatre seats could hear him, he writes on the family photostream.


Josephine's camera was fixed, she's a happy girl.

This is an amazing photo, with the rainbow. The ancient civilisations trod here.

Lions Gate, c. 1240 BCE


10 comments:

Tom said...

...I may have seen a eastern comma and question mark butterfly yesterday, but it flew so quickly.

William Kendall said...

I would very much like to see Greece.

Jeanie said...

Those deer! Biggest sigh. And what an experience for your gang in Greece.I'm glad you are sharing their photos!

Divers and Sundry said...

I love how you've made your space so pollinator/wildlife-friendly :) I'm trying to do that and wish my jerry-rigged "fountain" was as well-liked by the birds as your lovely fountain is :) I've gone so far as to join a FB group where folks share their journeys towards changing their yards lol

RedPat said...

That is quite a trip they are having.

Elephant's Child said...

How I love your critters - which are all exotica to me.

Barbara Rogers said...

Loved seeing the fawn, who must feel very safe to go off in different directions from mom...like a 4 year old hooman.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your kids are having an amazing vacation! :)

River said...

Nice capture with the birds and deer. I like the little rainbow too. I'd love to see Greece one day.

Anvilcloud said...

Those kids sure get around.