Sunday 17 July 2022

Walkies, frogpond, Crete

I haven't done walkies with Cinnamon in awhile. Cinnamon was out, and wouldn't come in. I thought I'd take him down to the forest, and wear him out. These days he is content to sit on the front deck and refuses to come in, just watching the yard. His sister is a different story.


As we approached The Point, a piece of land that juts into the wetland, I could hear what I think was a deer. That's why Cinnamon sat and stared. 

The swamp is slowly drying up from the spring thaw. Here is the water at the dock. It's not deep, but enough for the critters. The second photo, below, shows the path through the wetland that the critters take.

The foliage is so rich and green. The bird songs lovely.


As I finished up at the trailcam, I realized I'd lost Cinnamon by that point. I found a doe. I think the deerflies drove Cinn back to the house. 

Clover, the doe, and the frogpond.

doe & frogpond from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I finally found Maple, the tree frog, she's been hiding under the goldfish plant.

Onward to Crete

Meanwhile, I know some of us are living vicariously through our intrepid travelers, they took the overnight ferry from Athens, Piraeus port to Heraklion. You can see the ship in the harbour.

It is a huge ship. Sadly, the pool wasn't open. That, in the 35˚ C. heat, was going to be amazing.
They arrived at dawn, to the island of Crete. 


17 comments:

Tom said...

...you live in a green world at the moment.

Anvilcloud said...

It must be fun to walk with a cat, even if it checks out early.

Barbara Rogers said...

My windows are open for a few more minutes to hear wonderful chatter of birds (and a siren which arrived into our complex which denotes someone needing medical attention.) The sirens go when arriving out on the street, but turn off when they turn into the complex. Anyway, thanks for a walk in the woods...and peaks at traveling family!

Jenn Jilks said...

It really is, AC. He throws himself to the ground, a half dozen times, he's so happy. He wants belly rubs. Then he'll fling himself up the tree, and be so proud.

Mae Travels said...

Crete sounds like a very pleasant place for right now.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DUTA said...

Crete, Heraklion - say no more, lovely, lovely places!

Cloudia said...

You are the carer for a beautiful garden of Eden

Divers and Sundry said...

Oooo Crete! Thanks for the photos. It sounds like an exciting trip.

Elephant's Child said...

You live in a beautiful part of the world - and the travellers are seeing another.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

I so would love to have any frog/toad around my garden .. can't manage a pond though (mosquitoes are terrible this year too .. John takes the girls for a walk around the house .. they follow him like two little dogs, it is a hoot to watch. I love that walk in the woods and seeing the doe .. we have house wrens around and their chatter makes us smile but they are so darn fast I can't get a decent picture of one ... some day maybe ? .. fantastic trip to go on ! they will be home before you know it.

RedPat said...

I love your wee frog.

William Kendall said...

Cinnamon has his ways, as enigmatic as they may be.

Christine said...

How wonderful to be travelling like that. I heard there was a fire on Crete.

Leigh said...

What a wonderful place to walk! My cats accompany me too, sometimes, when I take the goats for a walk in the woods. Other times, they're too busy lounging around the back porch to be bothered.

Angie said...

Jenn - lovely walkies with Cinnamon! I stare at deer, too!

DrumMajor said...

I didn't know there was a goldfish plant. Hope it's easier to take care of than fishy goldfish. Linda in Kansas

Jeanie said...

That is a FABULOUS photo of Cinnamon in the forest! I love the alertness! And the Crete visit looks fascinating. How fun for them all.