Friday 8 July 2022

Our Vancouver Family – Day 3


Thursday, July 7th

I woke at 4:30, but managed to listen to news, and get up at 6:00. Cluny was the first to come upstairs at 8:00 and said the other two were sleeping. I gave her a bowl of cereal. The other two emerged from slumber closer to 9. Stacie was still in NOTL visiting her actor buddies.

We found a spider on the floor, I captured it in the bug catcher, and Cluny released it over the back deck. From there we looked for Maple the tree frog. Maple had moved, then came back later to sunbathe.

From there we did some painting and then thought we might swim. It was COLD!

A better idea: lunch on the patio. The patio was full at CC's, so we were on the porch. 
After hamburgers and such, we went for a walk on the docks. The redid this dockage with a provincial bursary. It is quite popular.

The docks and water required inspection! 

It is a busy waterway. There were two le boat boats. You can rent them from Smiths Falls and motor on and around the Rideau Canal. I was happy to see the actually came in the restaurant to add to the economy.

Vanclief Park

Lunch done, we were off for an adventure. As we approached the park, we noticed a lot of geese and goslings. And lots of goose poo!
We did a lot of swinging.

Jess played 'I spy' and said he saw a pirate. It was the pirate flag. 
We went for a swim to cool down, after a hot drive home in the car. I got out the foam. Back in the day Jos and Izzy would play foam girls
After our swim, we watched Bambi while Jesse had a nap. Bryony lasted for about half of it! She went downstairs and woke her daddy. Then we played the car game, and had yummy strawberries from down the road. They played Rush Hour for awhile, stopped for strawberries, and went back to that and reading. I'd forgotten this game, but it was popular.
Rush HourAfter our big lunch, we debated dinner. Jesse brought eggs from his sister's house, as they are travelling for three weeks. I suggested we have eggs: breakfast for dinner. That didn't go over well. Instead they came up with the idea, and he made us all French toast! The syrup was from Coutts sugar bush, the berries from Millar's Bay farm, and it went over well.

Each girl had two pieces of French toast, Cluny had peanut butter on hers, and Bryony wanted an extra egg after she'd downed her toast. I think we played hard today and they will go down.


They aren't quite comfortable with us, still a bit shy. Jesse was reading a story on the couch. Somehow we ended up talking about hair. Oh, I remember. Cluny wanted braids. I did hers, and that sufficed. I explained that when I was a teen I had hair down to my waist. Grampa told them about HIS long hair! he had to fetch the photos to prove it!
Here I was, 1973. Can you spot me?! Grampa Joe explained he was backpacking in Banff Park! They were suitably awed! 
 


 We eased into the evening. Jesse did bedtime routines; baths were had, hair washed, and bedtime arrived. Stacie arrived just in time to present their souvenirs from NOTL. That was an epic drive (450 km), but she was so happy to see her old friends. 

By then it was 9:30. We chatted. Stacie regaled us with her adventures, especially her Google maps which took her through Toronto. By 10 p.m. I was baffed, so was Grampa! We toddled off to bed like the old farts we are. 

18 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I haven’t heard “baffled” for awhile or even much in my life. The one fellow I recall using the word was a rural farmer boy. I see that it is primarily a Canadian word.

Tom said...

...the fun continues.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What fun those girls are having every day. They may NEVER want to go home. I take it you are the bridesmaid with hair to your waist (grin)!

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember a quote from a Dr. Seuss book: "It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how." Y'all know how! :)

DeniseinVA said...

Great photos Jenn, I believe I picked you out but will wait for others so as not to spoil the fun. Lovely to see the family photos and the children are always cute. Looks like a super time was had by all :)

DUTA said...

You are the one with the long hair (first in line); your smile gives you away.

Gaelyn said...

OH BOY! Gramma camp.

RedPat said...

What full days you are having.

Elephant's Child said...

Another wonderful day packed with precious memories.
Baffed is a new word for me - but I completely understand.

Cloudia said...

How delightful! Enjoy yourself

Kay said...

What a busy and very FUN day you had! I loved “baffed.” I’d never seen that term before.

Red said...

Little guys can keep you busy all day but then they're a lot of fun.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What fun for you to have such pretty company! The old photos were great!

Nancy J said...

Baffed, that suits me too. What gorgeous pink dresses, and then the back packer. What another fun filled day with lots of different adventures for you all.

DrumMajor said...

What dandy grandparenting adventures. To help keep the kiddie pool warm and clean, see if a pool supply place will give you a piece of the blue plastic with the bubbles made on one side. It looks just like bubble wrap. Put the bubbles side down over the top of the water. The sun shining on it will keep it warm. Not sure you could buy rolls of bubble wrap to do the same thing; you could try by taping panels together with clear duct tape. My Dad taught us a trick: if you go swimming and hang up your suit, it feels cold when you try to put it on for a second swim. Just put the cold, wet suit under warm water at the sink, wring it out, and it's warm long enough to put it on. Have fun. Linda in Kansas

Jeanie said...

It sounds like a really wonderful time. I love that you shared olden-days photos with them! That probably was a fun memory trip -- and fun for them too. Don't you love the water? Beautiful!

Lorrie said...

You are having so much fun with your Vancouver family!

William Kendall said...

French toast makes a good evening meal.