Wednesday 20 July 2022

That was some rain!

We had a dump of rain on Monday. It just kept falling and falling. We had a total of 28 mm. 

The eavestrough overflowed, so I contacted our people again. The video shows it.

 

The goldfish pond has two blooms, which I noticed standing in the rain inspecting the eaves.

I went out back to check on the bench swing. A Great Blue Heron flew over! Honest! I've seen them before.



After my request, I had a couple of suggestions for the swing's roof. Divers&Sundry suggested Scotchgard. How brilliant! Sending my personal assistant in, he brought me two cans. I used up the first, and some of the second. You can see where the water collected on the topper where it bulges. I think this might be the way to go. It just needs tweaking.


The pillows were soaked. I just have to put more on top of where the bar goes over. That's where it seemed to accumulate. OK, plan B.


Clover was in the yard. She decided to help herself to the sumac leaves. 



doe & sumac from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

One more video: Cinnamon and I about to embark on our walkies. You can hear the sparrow chipping at us. Also, the cardinal yipping. Finally, the red squirrel gave us a look. July 15th.

forest walkies from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Our Intrepid Travelers

While Jesse's sister is in Crete, Jess posted photos for us from Vancouver! It is fun to look back at their visit this month. Just scroll on if this is too many photos, but I wanted JB to see them as well! Here they are visiting.


Jesse took his Vancouver girls camping on the weekend! I'll have to be honest, I have never camped. Jesse was employed one year leading canoe camping trips in Algonquin Park. He was a great Boy Scout, too. He loves the outdoors.


Meanwhile in Crete

Driving from Heraklion to Chania, they settled into their hotel.


They had a beach day at Chania. Sunset gave an opportunity for photos! The first beach photo was by Isabelle.

Here they are in the water, Caitlin's photo. 
Today is a beach day. They love swimming! We'll take them swimming when they visit in August.

11 comments:

Jeanie said...

I've never camped either and I have no desire to. Rick loves it. Others in his family do. Nope. Not me.

Sorry about the rain. I live in fear of those mega-storms like that and my basement. Especially when it is SO dry that the ground can't absorb it -- it's as bad as when it's icy and you get an unseasonable rain -- and the ground can't absorb it then, either. I hope you didn't have too much of a mess.

Tom said...

...we finally received some meaningful rain.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,
The deer must really feel at home in your yard. The waterlilies are lovely, great capture of the heron in flight. The family's vacation looks fabulous.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Travel by proxy - comfortable for us and fun for the intrepid ones YAM xx

RedPat said...

Love the doe reaching for a mouthful.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad Scotchguard worked for you :)

We got a bit over an inch of rain one recent morning, but no more is predicted in the foreseeable forecast. A goldfish pond would be fun!

Elephant's Child said...

I do hope you find a way to combat the water damage. Love your other photos. We used to camp often when I was a child. My memories are not fond. Not comfortable and I have a weakness for bathrooms. Squatting in the bush just doesn't do it for me...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, I love those waterlilies. They sure multiply quickly if you let them, though. Sorry you had so much rain. We haven't had any rain since my basement flooded a couple of weeks ago.

Nice of Divers and Sundry to suggest the Scotchgard. She's definitely a good friend to have. Looks like with a bit of tweaking, the water problem will be abated.

What a sweet video of the hungry doe. Just adorable.

I knew I wouldn't make it all the way through this post, because I must run now or I'll be late for an appointment I can't miss. Hope your day is going well, Jenn.

William Kendall said...

Clover is very good company.

Anvilcloud said...

It was pretty parched around here, esp[ecailly on lawns like ours that don’t get watered.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lovely catching up with your yard and home news (not so lovely about all the work to fix that problem, but you seem to have come up with a solution!) and with all the family travels.