Tuesday 5 July 2022

In town and out

 Our grandies are coming today. We'll have some indoor play. We are ready. The house is fairly clean, but I won't worry, kids are coming! We've a new guest room mattress, sheets and new pillows. Sadly it appears that Omicron, Ba.5, is on the rise. We are being careful. 

Our local ER is still closed. We aren't testing properly. These are the high-risk cases where they qualify for PCR tests.

All we have are the rapid tests, less effective but if it is positive you know you've got it.


I was in town, and spotted this. I have not seen one in my 65 years! 


What I did see was the cedar waxwings chirping away in the bushes – eating the new berries. I think the one in the second photo hit the window. It doesn't happen often. It was fine.




I didn't have the zoom lens that afternoon. They like the sumacs, although those are dying out. Can you see it? 


The yucca plant is in bloom. It doesn't happen every year. This is a new plant. 

Perth put in these terrific strobing crossing lights that make everyone safe. Not that people actually take time to push the buttons! This person was a hoot. The truck didn't bother stopping. She gave it the finger. He was midway to crossing. Oh, people!

I went into town for a relaxing massage. A bit of rain. The drive was typical of summers in cottage country. I don't know why people cross in the middle of the street. They are on vacay, it's a Wednesday afternoon. We need drivers to be predictable, not suddenly brake in the middle of the road.  

driving from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It's raining today. I am glad. I was going to water if it didn't. 





14 comments:

Tom said...

...I've never seen a front end loader like that!

Kathy G said...

That's a huge piece of machinery driving down the road.

Anvilcloud said...

Have a good visit.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm wondering what this winter will bring as far as covid is concerned. I'm sure there'll be a tailored vaccine but fear it'll be for a variant that's been superseded by yet another one by then.

What a pretty bird!

Barbara Rogers said...

Keep on doing what you can to stay safe...then enjoy life with all its pleasures (massage! rain!)

DeniseinVA said...

Sorry to hear about the rise. I believe Australia is having a hard run also. In our area, the eastern part of Virginia where we live, we are in a good period but we never take anything for granted. We still wear our masks because I haven’t had the usual colds and respiratory infections I always got, and get dreadfully sick from. Seems to be a lesson in there somewhere. Hope you all stay away from it. Lovely your grands are coming over. I don’t think I have ever seen one of those contraptions before. The waxwing is a real beauty, it’s been years since I saw one of those. We have doves fly into our windows occasionally, it’s usually the new ones and they don’t seem to see the stickers we put on there. They all have survived though and fly off back into the trees, leaving ‘wing feather’ prints on the glass. All your plants and flowers are lovely! As for people, we had roundabouts put in not too far away years ago and I was always seeing cars clipping each other. Drivers need to develop a sixth sense which was noticeable in your video, but at the same time I enjoyed the ride through your town :) I don’t mind a day of rain as the gardens love them. Just enough, not too much as we’ve seen the havoc too much can cause. Another lovely post Jenn :)

RedPat said...

Have great fun with the family.

Elephant's Child said...

Have a wonderful, wonderful time with the Grandies. And thank you for the photos from your side of the world. Stay safe.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a great front loader. I've never seen one like it, either.

Enjoy your time with your family.

BTW, for some reason, I was sure you would have had a comment on my Monday Mural this week: https://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2022/07/monday-murals-air.html

William Kendall said...

I wonder what birds think while recovering from a window hit. Aside from ouch.

Haddock said...

Agree on that crossing the road. I have seen some people who don't push the button before crossing.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Not impressed with the lack of testing and recording going on right now in Ontario & Canada.

Patio Postcards said...

When the province, as per Doug's request (demand) stopped reported COVID daily numbers it was difficult to make decisions about going out & where since we couldn't tell if numbers of COVID were manageable or not - the weekly local health board numbers for us a showing a definite rising of cases, hospitalizations & deaths. Time to get back into the COVID coccoon.

Pedestrians walking out mid block, make me want to honk the horn (I don't) & usually it's full grown adults, not teens. Grrr.

Rain, yes blessed rain fell yesterday all morning - I was tempted to do the happy naked dance in it ... but I feared frightening the wild life (lol).

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog