Wednesday 6 July 2022

The kids are here from Vancouver!

Our Vancouver kids arrived in Ottawa on July 1st. Airline travel is a bit iffy. There are lots of cancellations. I watched on FlightAware. They were scheduled to leave at 9:20, and left at 9:38, which isn't too bad at all.

The news is full of delays, but they did well.

I was prepared. Frosty got dressed up, ribbons on the fence.


We warned the cats. They have two cats in Vancouver, so all should be well.



I filled the pool for play, a bit each day beginning on July 1st. Sadly there is a leak in the blow-up rim. If I blow it up each morning it'll do us.

They stayed with our Ottawa kids for a few days. Our four granddaughters! 

Staying with his sister, Jesse brought his Vancouver family here on July 5th. We plunked the kids in front of Paw Patrol, while Jesse and Stacie unpacked and sorted things out. Next was lunch. It is wonderful seeing those little faces around the table.

It rained all day, but we had some fun. There were some performances with the stuffies. The puppets came in handy, as well. Muffin Muncher and Sir John.

The grandies are here! from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


And then we moved upstairs to play in the castle. I read them the story about Muffin Muncher, they wondered where his name came from. Bryony sat on my lap, while Cluny came in the room.
It was poignant for me. I found Jesse had put his name in the front cover. I've read or told this story to many students, as well as our Ottawa grandies.  That's how long I've had this book. There was a whole series of these Serendipity books. The book was written in 1974, there were many more up until the 80's. It is in pretty bad shape!

We have two defunct flip phones, the girls had fun with those. Muffin Muncher was talking on the phone, too. Bryony decided Muffin Muncher was a girl, so we changed her pronouns. This is, after all, 2022!

muffin muncher - First Edition - AbeBooks

This is the best toy, the castle. Lots of stuffies came upstairs.


Window crayons are always a hit. The windows needed cleaning anyway!

After dinner and a bath, they were convinced to go to sleep. JB and I konked out early. A good day had by all. 

Our Ottawa kids arrived in New York. Their adventure begins. Our adventure continues! 


18 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
It's all go when young uns are around - we forget the energy levels, eh?!!! Love em and hug em as much as you can. YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

So great to have all those young ones with all their energy! It would make me tired after an hour. Good that you lasted long enough to bed them down first!

Tom said...

...have a great family time.

Kathy G said...

Enjoy!

DUTA said...

Enjoy your precious guests!
(It requires courage to fly these days - cancellations, queues, lost luggage , you name it).

Divers and Sundry said...

What fun! It looks and sounds like a great time was had by all :) I'm glad the travel arrangements worked out.

William Kendall said...

Have fun!

RedPat said...

You will be exhausted but happy when the visit is over.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Nancy J said...

Oh Jenn, the joy and absolute delight to see the family from far away. Flight Radar, emails, Zoom or Facetime, the modern way we know where they are and how the travel is going. 4 girls together, that is one for keeping. Have a wonderful time, sleep well each night. XXX p.s. I'm off to see the Wizard of Cataract removal today at 7.30 a.m.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I'm glad you had a fun time with your grandkids. I've got one of mine staying in a couple of weeks, looking forward to it.

Elephant's Child said...

Wonderful news. I can just imagine how wide your smiles are...

DrumMajor said...

It's all so charming! I'm exhausted just looking through your day! Linda in Kansas

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This looks like it must be a wonderful time for all of you. I can tell how happy and excited you are. I would say they didn't have much of a delay at all. Here in the states, a delay is a DAY or two.

Anvilcloud said...

How lovely for both you and them. You always seem to have so many things to keep kids entertained.

Jeanie said...

Oh, Shaw Festival. I dearly love that -- haven't been in a few years but never disappointed the many times I've gone. And I can see you are full of fun with the grands. Isn't it the best? I'm so glad they all arrived and all is well.

Cloudia said...

Such a beautiful family! Jenn!

Kay said...

(Kay of Musings) I’m so very happy for you Jenn.