Tuesday 26 July 2022

COVID–19, Eavestrough and the moths

😷COVID-19 <= I've been keeping track of our local cases.

Things are heating up around here. Friday, July 15th, Ontario announced 2,105 cases of COVID. Ontario removed its masking mandate on March 21st when we had 1,217 cases. This daily case count is higher than both December 15th, 2021 and February 7th, 2022. 

They test high-risk cases, people in the ER, etc. And people who have access to the PCR tests, rather than the RATs, are a limited group. Not everyone can get one and you must be a front-line healthcare worker.  

Who is eligible for PCR or rapid molecular testing in Ontario?

We'll continue to be careful. We mask everywhere indoors.  

πŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒ

 Common Angel's Trumpet

Brugmansia arborea is an open treelike plant with 6-inch-long trumpet-shape white flowers with a delicate scent. It grows 6-12 feet tall.

This is why we cannot have nice flowers: potato beetles! Can you see it peeking out?! 




This is the seed pod. Like the many garden or household plants they are toxic. I grew some Bean Plants one year. They have similar sharp pods, and have ricin in them, which is poisonous. 

The coleus is doing well. The wild grape vine is working its way up to cover the blue cat.


These are the clouds that rolled in on Sunday, July 24.

 

storm July 24, 2022 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Our new eavestrough was in a bad way. I turned on the front floodlights to check it out.

moth in the storm from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


They came and fixed the eavestrough, again. (I'd sent a video.) They seemed grumpy, dropping the F* bomb on top of our eaves as they undid screws and changed the level of the eaves. Left without saying they were done. They warned me of the debris in the gutter, but it wasn't much truthfully. The angle of the trough needs to go from the high point to this, the drain point over the downspout. 


This is the fascia I thought they should have replaced. They told me they hadn't needed to during the original installation. We shall have to see what the next big dump of rain brings. 

eavestrough fascia from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It really is discouraging. I put my ladder away, and went out onto the back deck to read. There are two tree frogs back there. One must be a male, as it was singing. This one, our Vancouver grandie named her Maple, spent the day under the aquarium keeping me company.

πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›πŸ›

Happy Wanderers

They are in Amsterdam for a few days. Their trip to the Rijksmuseum was amazing. They rose early for a 9:30 a.m. guided tour. It sounded like a good idea, as the tour guide highlighted several sections of the museum. The art library is awesome. 

This was a photo by Isabelle!



16 comments:

Tom said...

...too many think that Covid is over, well it ain't!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
It seems this latest round of Covid is very contagious, case numbers are going up here too. We are masking up when going inside anywhere. Love your pretty flowers. Take care, have a great day!

Anvilcloud said...

We too have an eavestrough not done well without a good slope. You’d think it wouldn’t be all that hard to get it right or at least less bad.

Hilary said...

I have a coleus plant but have it as a house plant. I did read it can go outside and after seeing yours I will take some cuttings to have one outside next year.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh my, COVID sure is continuing around the world. Slutty little virus. Since people are deaf now by the length of it, the news is focusing on Monkey Pox. Sorry folks, I'm back in my mask...and need help remembering it these days! So I hope that gutter will work as it's supposed to now. Amsterdam must be fun!

Olga said...

COVID is not giving up its hold!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Yeah, complacency is our enemy when it comes to infection control... those guttermen sound like they are trying to dodge a bullet. Just can't get decent work done these days! YAM xx

Jeanie said...

You've been getting far worse storms than we have. I really am distressed about the current Covid resurgence. Why don't we learn? And Amsterdam -- one of my favorite cities. How lucky for them to be there.

RedPat said...

I'm still wearing a mask inside and being careful about being close to people.

Elephant's Child said...

Covid numbers are escalating dramatically here too. And the mask mandate has been removed. I continue to wear mine in dangerous settings.
I am glad that they came out (however reluctantly) to repair their earlier work and hope it holds.

William Kendall said...

Amsterdam I would love to see.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Love the wanderers photos!! Love your plants, we need work on our guttering. Covid here is skyrocketing and the official numbers include only ER tests. People like me and son who tested positive at home are not in the official numbers.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am also wearing a mask everywhere I go. I also wear disposable gloves so I don't have to clean sanitize them every time I touch something. Covid is actually getting worse and we cannot be too careful.

So glad you document everything so you could prove the eaves weren't right.

The wanderers look like they are having fun in that museum. I was very impressed with the books.

Thanks for your comment on kathyinozarks. I left a scathing comment on her blog asking to see her sources for the killings of live babies she is talking about. I bet a cup of coffee or a glass of iced tea she won't even publish it. If she doesn't like something you say, she deletes your comment instead of publishing.

Ontario Wanderer said...

I am annoyed that it so hard to get real Covid numbers these days in Ontario. The numbers are obviously going up a lot according to the few reports that I can find. I am still spending most of my time at home and in the damned mask when I am inside public buildings. In general, I avoid almost all public areas inside and out.

The Liberty Belle said...

The increasing numbers of Covid lead me to wonder if we will ever have to go back to masks, social distancing, and being in lockdow situtions.

Divers and Sundry said...

Our covid numbers are up, too, but mask-wearing continues to drop. It's frustrating.

I hope this repair works and that they don't have to come back.