Sunday 31 July 2022

The Pope's visit to Canada; Indigenous responses vary

 I wanted to comment on the Pope's visit to Canada. As a White Settler, I believe in Truth and Reconciliation. I also believe in Reparation. I do not think the Pope did that. Many Catholic Indigenous people have been happy with his visit, others not so much. There is so much more to be done. 

I think this Cree woman spoke for many, with tears and emotions clearly reflected on her face (CTV): Her name is Si Pih Ko and she is a true Ogichidaa Kwe (Facebook).

In fact, she didn't sing O Canada. She sang a powerful song to those who enacted the 'Doctrine of Discovery', giving them permission to steal Indigenous lands.

Simon Bird interpretation:
our father

keep our land that is pure and clean
our land that is pure/clean, it is true/it is the truth
I am grateful standing here 
you should know better than to be granting/sharing something
we are the royalty
we were sovereign/we made our own laws
there cannot be another law brought here
that is not the great/true law
great leaders were selected
so we can make our own laws/to be sovereign
That’s it/thank you

Her words: “‘You are hereby served the spoken law, we the daughters of the great spirit and our tribal sovereign members can not be forced into law or treaty that is now the great law. We have appointed chiefs on our territories, govern yourselves accordingly,’ and then I turned my back on him and said ‘hiy hiy’ and I shook it off.
There was an interesting CBC show: CBC Radio's The House: TRC calls to action — what's next?, hosted by CBC journalist Niigaan Sinclair (Anishinaabe, and assistant prof at uManitoba). He interviewed his father, Murray Sinclair, who was the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) chair. 

All I can do is bear witness to the pain and the wrongs. I hope we can do the things that need to be done. And what needs to be done? Cindy Blackstock has long advocated for the people, First Nations, Innuit, Metis. She states what must be done in reparations. I leave you with this:

9 comments:

Tom said...

...the church created a MESS!

Olga said...

To study history is to have a broken heart.

Barbara Rogers said...

Your comments keep going to the side, so I've learned to approve them to be published...someone called it the spam folder. Wonder why, several others get that also. Great to read about the Indigenous efforts for reparation. I am glad to hear there's someone even called the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. They do have an uphill battle against the patriarchal colonial institutions!

Elephant's Child said...

It sounds like a positive first step (long overdue) with a long way to go yet...

Christine said...

Good that he visited

William Kendall said...

It is hugely complicated and will take time.

DeniseinVA said...

A very thought-provoking post Jenn. I have been reading about this. The cruelty these children had to go through is hard to comprehend and absolutely heartbreaking.

Jeanie said...

I'm glad he came. I really appreciate this post, Jenn. We heard about this, of course, but not in the detail you have in CA and the replies on both sides are interesting.

Divers and Sundry said...

I saw news on the papal visit to Canada, and it seemed there was disappointment all 'round from the indigenous community. There's no way to make up for the cruelty...