Saturday 23 July 2022

Nature's Critters

I checked on the wood duck boxes, now empty. This one was full of cobwebs. I opened it up, it has a hinge on the side door, and will clean it out when the bugs die down.


Lone bee mason house. 

These lilies are done, but just before the petals fell I noticed spider webs and baby spiders. You have to look closely! They were launching themselves on a silken strand and flew up on the breeze. 


The Angel's trumpet blossoms, Brugmansia, only seem to blossom for one full day. 


The water lilies are just getting going!

My little pottery worm is missing its middle. It broke, sadly. I lifted the head where it was on the ground and a bug flew out. Reaching for the tail, which was on its side, a sweet little red belly snake slid away from the hooman. 

This dude was somewhat loosey goosey on the lines. He was distracted, swerving nearly ran into a parked car further down the road. 

Then there was the truck and trailer. He'd turned right on a red, as the truck in front was moving through the green light. The truck pulled around him, I let him in. We ended up parked at the red light at the bridge is being repaired. I couldn't turn left to get into the parking lot. I shouldn't have let him in! 


Back at home I've been enjoying the robins eating berries. Critters are scarce on trailcams. I've heard this from other trailcammers. The bugs are horrid, the heat terrible. You can hear the House Wren in the background.

robin from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Visit Eileen's Saturday's Critters # 449 to see more critters!

19 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The robins are enjoying your berries. Neat capture of the snake.
I love your pretty lilies. Bird sightings have slowed down here, I am not sure if it is due to the heat. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your weekend.

Anvilcloud said...

Enjoy your weekend as the heat continues.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Shy little Robin peeked at you
then chose some berries, just a few
tasty they were, refreshing too
in the summer heat - then off it flew!
YAM xx

Mae Travels said...

Sounds like typical summer days are with you! Even the animals are taking time to be quiet.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Enjoy summer!

Karen said...

My critters have all gone into the deep woods to escape the heat and the bugs apparently. The doe with the twin yearlings is still wandering around the neighbourhood. We all see the little family wanding through our yards almost daily. She knows where they are safe. One of my neighbours was telling me another neighbour took FIVE deer last year. He is a FN fellow, nice enough, but doesn't seem to think about conservation.
The wobbly driver was probably on his phone.

Shiju Sugunan said...

I like your attention to details while observing the things around you. An enjoyable post as always!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

We get a lot of spiders and webs on the car and the outside washing airer. Love your pottery worm.

Elephant's Child said...

I love your critters and your blooms. Thank you for sharing them.

Jeanie said...

You are wonderful to be a polite driver and let him in -- but sometimes the end game is so annoying! Love your critters and blooms!

Divers and Sundry said...

You've created a real critter haven. That's a pretty snake. I've never seen one, and we most likely don't have them here. I miss seeing the occasional snake.

RedPat said...

I have been seeing a lot of Robins the last week or so.

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely critters! As for the truck I think you did the right thing. Different I know but I was trying to ease into traffic in rush hour a few years back, we were at a crawl. An angry truck actually turned his wheel and veered into me to stop me getting in and clipped my mirror. He was very chagrined when he got out, not angry but originally maybe, thankfully not now, but bounced over quickly to me and it was a bit scary as he towered over me as I was sitting behind the wheel. I've never forgotten. He actually apologized when he saw the shock on my face probably, and after not seeing much damage other than a tiny scratch on my side mirror, we decided to move on. I surprised him by shaking his hand and said glad we're both okay, and with a point, also said we're all just trying to get home. I think it was a hot day then too, and he actually let me go in front of him this time.

Cloudia said...

You are so observant! And we are the lucky ones. Keep driving kindly and let them go on their way. Wishing you all the best my friend

Yvonne said...

I've seen baby spiders hatching and scattering out onto their web. Quite an amazing sight. Loved watching the robin video. It's amazing how they are active until you start filming, :)

Kay said...

I miss seeing robins. They never caused a problem for us when we lived in Illinois. Right now, the pigeons are driving us crazy on our roof and pooping on our solar panels.

William Kendall said...

Robins are cheerful company.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I couldn;t leave comments on your and one other blogger's blog yesterday. I hope to fare better today.

It seems only the bugs are active in this weather. Sad the lilies are done for the year, but the Angel's Trumpets are beautiful. Lovely water lilies. I just hope they don;t take over everything.

Some drivers should not be allowed on the road.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn Great post full of nature shots. I once saw tiny spiders leaving there web, it was a sight I will never forget, they were tiny white spiders that were so cute. Is that you holding the snake, wow, you are brave.Lovely flowers, and Robin images.
All the best