Sunday 3 July 2022

I had a trip into town!

 I decided, with the troops arriving Monday, I should have a relaxing pedicure. Off I went. It didn't begin well.

Firstly, I was tailed by a Bell van the whole way into town. Then three emergency firefighter vehicles went by. I duly pulled over, which is the law. The Bell truck tried to pass me, since he didn't hear the sirens or see the flashing lights. 

Firefighters from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The town was crawling with people and vehicles. Into the hotel I went. The parking was atrocious, I snagged the 2nd last spot. I found the last viable spot, methinks. Some people aren't very good at parking between the lines!

This dude didn't seem to care where he parked. Parking was difficult to find. The employees park here, as well as guests. 

I had my pedicure, and relaxed. I needed that. It's a lovely setting for a spa and hotel. 


Out the window I could see the wedding preparations as Ivy worked on my toes. Women white dresses, and men in tuxes wandering back and forth! It's a popular spot for weddings. They stay in the hotel, have their hair done, and party. 

Stewart Park is amazing! The land was donated by Mrs. Stewart in 1947. What an everlasting donation. The gift was given on the condition that no one would be charged admission to visit. That's why the free July music festival is so much fun for all. I was there when there was another wedding: A wedding in Stewart Park in Perth. The photos are so much fun.


I had my deluxe pedicure, which includes a foot and leg massage. I was so relaxed. Heading home, I was tailed by a big, black SUV who thought I should be doing far more than the speed limit. I put on my turn signal, slowed down, and spotted something in the driver's side view mirror. I couldn't believe it. A motorcycle passed the SUV and me. If I hadn't stopped he and I could have been in a terrible way. I was so upset. Why are people in such a hurry? 

motorcycle from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

🚑 The bad news is that our local Perth ER is closing for five days. They are having trouble getting staff. There are a variety of reasons, which our re-elected premier doesn't seem to have a handle on. ("Nothing to see here, folks!") Dr. Drummond says it is due to a nursing shortage exacerbated by a COVID breakout on Thursday. His nursing staff has shrunk from 15 to 5. We'll have to drive 20 km to Smiths Falls, which is easy for us, but not for the most vulnerable.

This morning, on the local news, I found out what the firefighters were headed to Saturday afternoon:

 Be safe out there, people. We have people who love and need us.

22 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Jen ... that pedicure looked SO relaxing ! Too bad all the other annoyances happened .. my husband HATES being tailed by idiots .. funny enough he says the ratio of women to men is that more women do it to him .. I just say they like how he looks ? LOL Seriously though ... is your life worth getting some where a few minutes earlier ? with these moron passers ?
That is a great dash cam .. did it come with the car or did you have it installed ?

Tom said...

...too many people think the they are to park OVER the line!

Olga said...

Medical staffing is a problem here as well and pharmacies are closed much more than we are used to.

Christine said...

Glad you enjoyed your pedicure amid all the excitement in town. Yes lots of weddings this year.

Anvilcloud said...

Parking in Perth always seems ot be problematic.

Yes, that is a great park.

And yes, tailgating speed demons are … um … demonic.

Barbara Rogers said...

Goodness...and all for a pedi! Glad that the boat captain made it to shore ok. I'm staying home this weekend. Got groceries Friday morning, enough to hunker down and hide from our usual tourist inundation on holidays. It used to be fun to join the crowd downtown to watch fireworks, then stand in stop and go traffic an hour to get home. I've evolved beyond that, I think.

Mae Travels said...

Bullying by drivers of big vehicles is really a menace! Glad you are ok.

best…. mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Cloudia said...

How eventful Jenn. Slow and steady wins the race. As pilot say, there are bold pilots and old pilots, but there are no old and bold pilots. Enjoy your wonderful visit

Gaelyn said...

REALLY! People need to slow down. Not to mention following the rules of the road. Sure glad you survived the journey. Scary fire.

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never had a pedicure. Drivers somehow think going faster gets them there quicker, but honestly that doesn't really work like they think it should.

That park looks delightful :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never had a pedicure in my life, so lucky you. Wow, it could be dangerous just being on the road where you live. Glad you made it home in good shape and still more or less relaxed!

Jenn Jilks said...

It's my 3rd dashcam, and I installed it myself. #2 was a disappointment.

RedPat said...

Drivers are terrible these days.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Por lo que se ve, has disfrutado mucho de las instalaciones del hotel. Esos jardines tienen un marco magnífico, para la celebración de una boda.

Elephant's Child said...

Our hospitals are closing/working restricted hours for similar reasons. As are the schools.
When will it end.
That gift of land was incredibly generous. I love her condition about free entry too.

Nancy J said...

Our ambulance and hospital services are stretched to the max. Last week, in a large city, a lady, I forget but maybe a teacher at the school, was demonstrating a skateboard technique to an after school class. She slipped, fractured her pelvis, they rang the ambulance at 4.10 p.m., meantime it started to rain, several parents stayed, umbrellas used, coats and anything warm was used, the lady was a diabetic and had asthma,and went into shock. the ambulance arrived after several more frantic calls, at 9 p.m .They apologised so much . Your traffic dudes are so crazy, not only themselves but everyone else gets put in a dangerous place. It looks like you have yellow lines like ours, so many here ignore the solid line and pass, crossing over into the oncoming lane and traffic. Stay safe Jenn, those toes look wonderful.

William Kendall said...

A lovely park.

Lowcarb team member said...

So pleased you enjoyed your pedicure, and pleased you got home safely :)

All the best Jan

Patio Postcards said...

I am still amazed that people are not tuned into the sirens, the flashing lights, etc ... in our area we are constantly reminding people (via the community F/B pages) to pull over for the green flashing lights - our volunteer fire fighters trying to get to the station & trucks. Grrrrr

Oh summer weddings & a great reason to buy a frothy dress & get the toes beautified ...

Lorrie said...

What an eventful trip to and from your relaxing pedicure. It's always fun to observe a wedding - all the pretty dresses and people.

Jeanie said...

Apart from driving to and from, it sounds like a wonderful, relaxing and fun day (although I suspect all that relaxing got a little stressed with the motorcycle incident.) I don't know why people are in such a hurry, either. We see it here all the time and I hate it.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I'm totally jealous of your dash cam. I haven't got one yet as I try and think out the legal ramifications if something goes wrong.

That motorcycle rider took an awful chance, he might have run right into you.

I generally drive the speed limit. I hate being tailgated.

So is Canada on edge these days? The US sure is.