Thursday, 10 September 2026

Autumn is creeping in

Reptiles and Amphibians 

I think there is some misunderstanding about toads. They are good little bug eaters, as are all of reptiles and amphibians. I need to do the lawn, but it is filled with leopard frogs, and baby snakes looking for crickets. Toadie is still living in the front garden, found in the sand right near Fred's burrow #6A. 


I found a Blue-spotted Salamander when I moved a piece of wood. I haven't seen one in ages. 


This photo is from 2011. They get to be quite big. All part of the ecosystem.

Monarchs
The front garden is beginning to fade. Milkweed is losing its leaves. It still has Tufted Milkweed caterpillars on it. 

There are several Monarch caterpillars around, so I cannot clear up yet.


The Freds
MiniFred is getting chonky. This will tide him over winter. You can't tell by his head as he peeks out.



Auntie Fred is about the same size, being less then a year apart in age. She was born in Spring, 2025. He was born this Spring. Some of us have to grow up quickly!

I managed another photo with both Freds out at the same time. MiniFred peeking out of his burrow. Auntie Fred in the shadows in front of the shed. Can you see them?


Cinnamon
He either follows me around the garden while I work, or hunkers down on a chair, or atop the BBQ when I read in my chair. My Cinnamon seems part dog!


We had about 10 mm rain yesterday. Indoor play. Hopefully, the sun shines and I can get out and about. I am watching the forecast for temperatures carefully. Soon the goldfish will have to come in.


No comments: