Thursday 13 January 2022

Cold weather, Birds and COVID shopping

 How cold is it? It was -24 C. on Tuesday morning. By Wednesday it warmed up to -8 C. and that was a relief. The cats kept trying each door, hoping that outside would be warmer. They'd sniff the air, and back up or run out, depending upon their frustration levels. 

Six years ago, this is what my SIL, JL, did for the girls! It was a hoot. Hot water & steam from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The skies have been fairly quiet. This one I heard Jan. 8th, around 4 p.m.


🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦

I've been keeping the bird feeders full. They get really busy in the cold. I've been trying to photograph the cardinals, but they are pretty flighty. I suppose I should put the camera on a tripod, but the moment is so short. I'd have to be prepared. Plus we need some sunshine. Wednesday it was snowing again and today, a little more snow. I snagged a photo of the pair in the horse chestnut tree.  

The buds on the chestnut tree are ready to go. They are a favourite of the deer!

I've put out a tray feeder. The goldfinches and the cardinals seem to like it. I had 4 goldfinches at one point. 


I could set up the camera. If I had the technology, it'd be great to set up the zoom, and set it off with a phone app. I know AC does this. I could sit outside on the bench, well-wrapped, and with the camera on the tripod. Or not!
🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠

In the meantime, we're having fun with trying to find things we need online. This is Big Al's filter floss, which is required in my goldfish filter system. I accidentally (long story!) bought 3 packages of it several years ago. It was a good thing, as the store in the west end of Ottawa folded due to mismanagement, they told me. This was prior to COVID, too!

Knowing the product was tricky, I only use a piece 15 cm x 30 cm (~6" x 12" ). The 60 gallon tank requires a heavy duty filter. Percy goldfish is a big pooper, and I've had to go from cleaning the tank every 4 weeks to every 3 weeks. 


This bag of floss will last me 2 - 3 years, I think. I put the fish out in the goldfish pond in summer. It was about $24, shipping is $9, and I decided it was worth it. I ordered it Jan. 11th, we'll see how long it takes, but I've 3 more pieces to go, which is 9 weeks worth. We could drive an hour and a half into east Ottawa to pick one up, but I'd really rather not. Big Al's is a long way away (~100 km), and I'd rather not go into a store. 

I've enjoyed this fishtank. I have to get up on a chair to clean the sides, but it is good work. The pump stores under the tank, and the hoses come up the back. It is the perfect fit for this corner. They don't make them anymore, and this one was on sale and a floor model. 


14 comments:

Tom said...

...the cardinal is a colorful visiter, we have a pair that come to our feeder.

Anvilcloud said...

I don't do that often as it's a bit of a finagle with the phone. I once had a dedicated remote trigger. One part goes on the camera, and I could hold the other at some distance in my hand. That worked the best. I still have it, but it doesn't fit my newer camera.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Who could not love a Cardinal sighting? Yes, the tank is a bright spot for dark days. YAM xx

Olga said...

Loved the variety in this post!

DUTA said...

-24 C? Brrrrrr! We had 8C (not -8) One evening, and I felt as if I'm turning into ice.

Kathy G said...

I love the red flash of a cardinal in the middle of a gloomy day.

Karen said...

it has been snowing here for 24 hrs. so the birds are feeding heavy. I've never seen a cardinal here. My mother in law used to have many at her feeders when she lived in Ottawa.

William Kendall said...

That cardinal is a handsome bird.

Lorrie said...

Cardinals are such bright spots in a winter landscape.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Seems like a real cold snap is coming our way. We cancelled our visit to Amherst Island the day after tomorrow. With wind chill factored in it is forecast to be minus 35, and that's a tad too cold for even the hardiest of us!

RedPat said...

I have only been hearing birds but haven't really seen many. I heard a Robin this morning which is always a bit of a surprise in winter.

Kay said...

Yikes! That is coooold! What fun to see all that steam. I think we did it just once in Illinois.

Jeanie said...

That fish tank is really lovely. I know what you mean about cleaning it. Sometimes I hate cleaning but there are other things that are either meditative or that it just feels good to do it. Love that glorious cardinal. My birds are packing down the seed too, especially on really cold, snowy days! I love seeing them. Happy weekend to you!

Bindu said...

I saw a cardinal near my house. I love that video of steam