Saturday 15 January 2022

Henry the buck

 We've had many bucks visit, but not many stick around. The sons of the tribe hang out with mom the first year, and then hang out with the boys in subsequent years. Tigger and his twin brother were lots of fun. There was Jake, too. Carl was the last one we named. We lost him to the highway. A neighbour stopped after he was hit, and had his son come and put him out of his misery. 

Our latest big buck has been a frequent visitor. I'm looking forward to sharing them. Grandie Josephine suggested 'Henry' and I like that. It's fun texting the grandkids and checking in.

My new trailcam has been a learning curve. Took me days to remember to change the F. to Celsius! The trailcams don't like our cold weather, either!

The old trailcam's piece has busted. I can't use my forest tripod anymore with it. The tripod works in the snow. It screws onto it. I switched this one camera (#1) out with another camera and put a strap back on it. I put #1 on a tree.



Here is Henry on the path up to the house from the meadow. This is trailcam #2, which I moved the next day. big buck 2.0 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

 

Henry in the forest, on the edge of the wetland. This is trailcam #1. Big buck 2.1 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

 

I captured the young buck, as well. He's had one antler for maybe a week. It is unusual. Usually they drop closer to one another. He might have lost it in an incident. Young buck 1 antler from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Henry is the boss! Big buck 2.2 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

 

This was an experiment. The first clip is from trailcam #2, then Henry moves past that camera into camera #3's range. This is camera #3, which you can see on the left of the following video.

For more critters: Saturday's Critters # 422.

15 comments:

Tom said...

...some handsome visitors.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
A lovely series... Henry is very royal! YAM xx

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn, :=) I love your new header, and I think it's fun that you name the deer, and recognise them. I'm always captivated by your various visitors, because we never see them in my part of the world.
Have a great weekend, and stay safe.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
You do see some great deer, the buck are handsome. Henry is a nice name.
I enjoyed the videos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Woody Meristem said...

Nice looking bucks. As you may know, with camera traps poor cold weather performance is often due to the batteries. Alkaline batteries do very poorly when they're cold, lithiums are best with rechargables somewhere in the middle.

Karen said...

Henry sure is handsome

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's HOW COLD? I would never make it! I would freeze! I love your new banner. Stay warm and safe!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Oh wow, I love your videos. I see deer out in the woods but of course they don't act as natural as what you captured.
I went and ordered my own trail cam. I am not going to capture any deer but we have plenty of birds and squirrels at the feeders. It's supposed to be here Monday so I'll see how long it will take me to get it up and going.

William Kendall said...

They're very good company.

Red said...

Most people are unable to see the differences in these animals.

Shiju Sugunan said...

What artsy antlers!

Anvilcloud said...

What a fine specimen, Henry is!

Jeanie said...

Henry has a pretty impressive rack! I hope a hunter thinks otherwise and leaves him alone!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

great header shot. we are having a storm. was hoping for snow but right the moment it sounds icy. glad to be able to stay safe and sound. take care. great shots. hope 2022 is going well for ya. ( ;

Yvonne said...

You are so knowledgeable about your deer visitors. Your videos on wildlife are quite impressive and fun to watch. I used to see herds of deer at the park I worked before I retired. They are amazing to watch.