Saturday 8 January 2022

Saturday's critters


It's been so cold. I had a lovely, lazy indoor day yesterday. 

Well, I usually run out and grab the trailcam, but hasten indoors. 

I've moved the trailcam to the feeders. The deer behaviour is fascinating. Of course, what do I get? Cottontail! 

The bunny appeared, hopping along. cottontail 


They love seeing me outdoors! They know something is up. workin' deer from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

 


Deer hierarchy: there is a pecking order. The males boss everyone. The younger males even boss the females, other than their mothers. They never actually fight. You can see that this one lays her ears back, and the other respects that. deer hierarchy from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


One young buck and the does. He's lost one antler somewhere. buck & does from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Here is another young one with 'pickle stabber' antlers! pickle stabber buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


For more critters: visit Eileen's Saturday's Critters # 421.


17 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I am not sure if I could take those minus temperatures, it is too cold.
Your critters are grateful for the food your provide, I am sure it helps the birds and animals survive the winter. Great videos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Mae Travels said...

Nice night photos. You really have a lot of deer. People here don’t like them because they eat all the shrubbery.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...there's never a shortage of critters at you place.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Thank you for sharing these wonderful critters!!! YAM xx

Karen said...

My camera is chillin' on the diningroom table. I just can't get the nerve to go out and tromp through the woods today.

Karen said...

My camera is chillin' on the diningroom table. I just can't get up the nerve to go out tromping through the woods today.

Out To Pasture said...

In today's masthead photo, I love how the buck's antlers mimic the shrubbery branches.

RedPat said...

What a great group of neighbours you have. ;-)

Villrose said...

I wondered what a cotton tail is, but I guess it is a hare. I only see the traces of them here.

Adam Jones said...

I just love watching your trail cam videos.

Red said...

BUT? Don't the sexes separate after breeding takes place? The young males are kicked out before the next fawns are born?

Shiju Sugunan said...

Lovely to watch your videos, that snowing one is awesome.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I'm late visiting. I've had no internet or phone since Monday, but stopped by to say thank you for stopping by my blog even when I was unable to reciprocate. Your kind comments were greatly appreciated. Your deer and even the cottontails are amazing, Jenn. You are so lucky and that trailcam is incredible.

Jenn Jilks said...

That's true, Red, but during rutting season the male will glom onto a female about to go into heat.

Usually we have the females over the winter. It's their winter yard. The males don't often show up, except on trailcams.

Jeanie said...

I could watch deer for hours!

NatureFootstep said...

So many deers, I am amazed. :)
And I love your new header. :) A beautiful shot.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You really are having frigid temps! Love your trail cam videos! Stay warm today!