Saturday 4 September 2021

🐞Saturday's Critters

 First up, 🐻SNUGGLE Bears. They have a new friend. Fawn is telling them about the big critters in the forest.


It's so sad. Esther the female swan in Smiths Falls has died. There are no signs of trauma, so they aren't sure why. They had wellness checks, and she was fine. This happened to the previous pair, one died, and they retired the partner to a farm. We took the grandies to Smiths Falls [Gramma Camp – Week 33.2], and saw them in the park.

Here is a first, for me: carrion beetles, Nicrophorus vespilloI had to look it up, as I'd heard of them. It's happily cleaning up the lower end of a mouse.



Nicrophorus.vespillo.jpg
By James Lindsey from Wiki
Ecology of CommansterCC BY-SA 3.0Link

JB was about to go walkies, when he noticed friends in the backyard. He called me to the window. We lost a fawn on the highway last month. We thought we had two does, with three fawns. After the fawn's death, I saw the doe with the twins, so I assumed the doe with the single fawn had lost her wee one. Apparently, we were mistaken! Here was a doe with a single fawn. Maybe we have more than we thought.


I went outside to get a better photo. I talked to them, on the hill, and she didn't like that, bolting for the far lot. doe and fawn  


The critters must have heard me. I wasn't getting anyone but family on the trailcams! I isolated this screen capture, as it show the teeniest little antler buds on the fawn.

At 37 seconds in, it suddenly bolts and whips around to check for something. Again, I think there are two. Fawn 

 


The doe in the meadow  

 


This is fun. There appear to be two different deer going back and forth in front of the camera. They won't wear name tags, but the one seems to be losing it's summer coat, the other has marks on its side. doe a deer  

 


And last, but not least, I watched this green frog jumping up at a bug. It chose not to do it while I was filming. It's a nice video of the goldfish pond. Soon it'll be time to bring the fish in for winter. green frog 

 

Visit more critters: 🐞Saturday's Critters # 403. Thanks for hosting, Eileen!

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,

I like the cute snuggle bears! The deer must love your place, lots to eat there? Cute frog video! Wonderful critter post! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for the comment on my blog.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Always get a thrill from your deer footage... and the frog is lovely, if uncooperative in performance! Crikey, I tend to mark my year by your bringing the fish in... YAM xx

Tom said...

...things are beautiful in deer heaven.

Nancy J said...

Bears in, deer out, frogs playing, you have a veritable wonderland. Love the deer scampering round, those long legs and the spots still on the fawns. Maybe there is a larger family that was in hiding.

RedPat said...

The deer are beautiful and I always like seeing a frog!

Yvonne said...

I guess frogs never cooperate when being filmed. The carrion beetle is interesting, as are all your videos of deer and fawns.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I agree...the deer love your place! And I love seeing them in your post! Hugs!

William Kendall said...

Deer will always be skittish.

Lowcarb team member said...

The snuggle bears are cute.
I enjoyed the frog video, they sit so still.

All the best Jan

Kay said...

It must be so much fun to catch up on the doings of your wildlife friends. And you have swans? Wow!

DeniseinVA said...

Those are adorable Jenn! How very sad about Esther. That would be very upsetting. I feel it myself. I have never heard of carrion beetles before. Just like the vulture they are nature’s clean up crew. I am glad you got to see the doe with her fawn, after the loss of the other little one. Balm to the soul to see them, and the videos were lovely. Being a fan of frogs I also enjoyed seeing yours. The pond is pretty with all those lily pads, a perfect haven. Thank you Jenn and have a very nice weekend and week ahead.

Breathtaking said...

Hello,:=)

It's always a pleasure to see the deer, doe, and fawns, on your land. The cute fawn on the bed with the cuddly bears is a nice photo. Shame about the Swan, as this has happened before it makes one wonder why! A good selection of other creatures too, all very interesting.
Take care, Hugs from Portugal.