Wednesday 29 September 2021

Mouse tails...


JB was sitting in his chair, Friday night Sept. 24th at 8:45 p.m., watching TV. Nutmeg came in with a toy in her mouth. OK, that's a mouse, he thought. She ran away after he got up. She knew it was a bad thing, even though she was quite proud of it, enough to show JB. Next, he went to the door to get a net, and started looking for her. 

Eventually, we found her downstairs with the mouse in her mouth, just outside the cold storage. She dropped it and it ran behind the shelving unit. It stayed in there, He couldn't get it out with the stick. It was my turn. I knelt down and grabbed it, couldn't get it. I moved the shelving unit, JB moved the iron. We put it out the back door. 

Here we be. Nutmeg, AKA Killer, was wearing a collar. JB is giving her some treats. They are going out for a couple of hours, then coming in to eat, and then are grounded.  Cinnamon went walkies with me later. I can wake him up and get home going. He'll come back to the house and sleep.

The orchid cactus is indoors, and I've pruned it.

I was preparing the garden for winter, and found two caterpiglies! Submitting the photos to BAMONA, I had IDs. They are the same species. 

Salt Marsh Moth or Acrea Moth
Estigmene acrea


Salt Marsh Moth or Acrea Moth
Estigmene acrea


What a change from summer! These are from August...

And now, it's all dead or dying. I didn't want to water it too much, not knowing how the precipitation was going to be. We had a bit of drought.

 🐻SNUGGLE Bears

September 27th –  ♪♫Angels we have heard on high!

JB is faithfully doing his walkies, and the doe did a walk-by.

walkies from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I was outside, and the doe was following Cinnamon

Cinnamon & doe from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This is part 2


Cinn & doe part 2 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

14 comments:

Tom said...

...I began to deadhead plants in my garden. We had a chilly start to our day.

Olga said...

I see that the bears are unconcerned about the attempted mouse murder and rescue efforts going on in the house. Or perhaps they were praying for some heavenly intervention?

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
That is the cutest of all mice - but really, Nutmeg, not for the house darling! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

Ugh! Cats and mice.

Jeanie said...

I wish Lizzie was so adept. We've tried to get Stuart Little for quite some time. I'll periodically see a flash (boy, he's fast) as he runs behind things in the utility room. Lizzie knows something is there and often sits in wait. But Stuie is smarter than she is!

Gaelyn said...

Must be fall. Mice coming in, granted with help, and flowers dropping.

RedPat said...

Nutmeg's friend is quite sweet! But not in the house.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Those caterpiglies look very spiky

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Jenn, always delighted to watch your videos and see the photos of your part of the world. How lovely it would be to live there. The mouse was a darling but better outside than in I know. I remember our old Ginger Tom giving us such offerings where I grew up. I love all the decorations you have, and your angel collection and the bears. I have a similar collection in my own home, and am looking at a few of the angels on my bookshelves in our family room, one with a teapot, another holding a tiny house, sisters, and others in various parts of our home. Hope your week is going well. Great post!

Kathy G said...

That's an awfully cute mouse to have caused so much trouble.

NatureFootstep said...

loved o see the caterpillars. It is always nife if you succeed in finding the ID.
And the deers, always a pleasure to watch.

William Kendall said...

In my experience deer have a fascination about cats.

Angie said...

Jenn - I will never forget when we first returned to our house in Cleveland, Ohio, after a three-year absence. It was completely empty, until we saw the mouse run across the hearth!

We had a fair amount of rain in August, three times the normal, but things have been quite dry in September. But two fawns, clearly born this year but no longer with their mother, have found plenty to nibble in my garden! I think they are too small and move too slowly to trigger my motion-sensor sprinklers. Good thing we are at the end of the season!

Pradeep Nair said...

That's lot of nice greenery!