Tuesday 28 September 2021

The Auction Pickup in Spencerville Part 2

 The quest for the Culvert

We were headed to Spencerville for the auction [The Auction Pickup in Spencerville Part 1]. I usually tell Caitlin that we are going to take a road trip. She texted back, "Say hi to culvert 448 on the 416 for me. I’ve been working on an MTO project".

I asked if she wanted a photo, but she was dubious that we could find it. She sent an image. I did some work online, and figured out where it could be. The trick was getting on to highway #416. We circled it, on backroads, and had to go back to Spencerville to access the highway ramp.  


I found this on Google maps, and knew where to look. I didn't find the second photo (below) until I was curating the trip photos. I took us up #44, and along Ventor, trying to find where a culvert would be obvious. We had to circle back to get onto #416.

We looked around for the likeliest spot. The bridge over the highway didn't tell me anything. There is lots of swamp and wetland.




After circling, I found it! I hope you are impressed. This is a drive-by shooting! It was a delightful challenge.


Back on the road home

We saw some fun homes, some old ones, and new ones. 


Of course, the trees...


The sumac is changing colour. 







I used both the GPS we have in the car, although it's getting old, but I also used my mappie thing on the cell phone. I needed all the help I could get. The road names are fun!

Harvest time


This is the GPS. We went to Spencerville via Jasper, and did a circuitous route home (pink).

The clouds appeared!

Smiths Falls, on Old Sly Rd. were bikers doing a tour.


They have all these post-war homes, originally built by the government for veterans and WW II workers. Linda Sescapina wrote about them. Also, from the history corner, Toronto.com
"Over all, 46,000 similar homes were built across Canada, during and after the Second World War, by the Wartime Housing Corporation (which became the Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation in 1946.) Initially these homes were built to house people working in war-related industry." 


Isn't this pretty?!

That is two roofing jobs I spotted this trip. As we head into winter, you want a good roof over your head.

Whoa there!

This was a car dealership and auction house, prior to that a second hand store, now shut.

OK, I did snort at this. There is a food truck here.

I like this shot! It began to rain on our way home. We arrived home, unloaded our loot and put our feet up.

The season is changing. 

Time for 🐻SNUGGLE Bears; JB is pretty creative, all things considered!


The Bears from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

12 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I am not quite sure how you did that culvert thing but good for you.

William Kendall said...

Lovely countryside views.

Tom said...

...I like the two styles of stone houses.

Olga said...

I am most impressed!

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Jennifer,
Very nice pictures. Great to see these beautiful locations.
And what a great houses you have seen while these trip.

Many greetings, Marco

Nancy J said...

That's a good tune from long ago when words were easy to listen to. Love the raincoat and umbrella. I can imagine being there on your trip, love those stone homes, one was huge!!! Hope the auction goodies are just what you hoped for.

RedPat said...

My parents had a veteran's home and that is where I grew up - every house had kids. It was a great time.

Red said...

You have a lot of fun on these trips. Did you miss anything?

The Furry Gnome said...

You've got a lot of old houses down in E. ont. Good detective work finding that culvert.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Nice GPS work. Have you done the game done with GPS coordinates. (Sorry, forgot the name and I must have taken it off of my iPhone.)

Christine said...

Nice tour

Powell River Books said...

Google map is pretty amazing, and sometimes scary. You can even zoom in on our float cabin. The image is a few years old, but not much changes. The government uses it to make sure we are following the lease rules for our water lot. - Margy