Thursday 9 September 2021

Where do bloggers go?

Lots of bloggers stop blogging for many reasons. They may actually have a job and blogging has cut into their free time, or they just get fed up with it. Some run out of things to say.

I found out Monday, finally emailing her husband on Facebook, that Kay Davies is in long-term care in the memory ward. Since May 1st, this year. We were Facebook friends, too, and several of her friends posted on her FB wall, asking where she is, there was no reply. I was so shocked. With all that is going on, I just didn't have the heart to ask until now. 

Kay was a faithful visitor to my blog, but she stopped blogging in 2018. As her friends watched, she began having issues posting on Facebook. I could tell something was happening to her. She had problem with meds, and her computer skills declined. It was so sad.

We met Kay in Vancouver one year. We had breakfast at the airport: Vancouver airport - where bloggers can meet in transit! Memories and photos are what we can hold to our weary hearts.

This reminds me of when our blog friend and her husband,  *In mourning for a fellow blogger: Tina, AKA EG*, were killed in an incident with a dump truck. People ask, there is no response from people in the know. They don't have anyone who takes down the blog, or informs friends.

I've told my kids where my passwords are kept. I shall give them instructions on first posting the information on my situation, if I am still blogging, and subsequently taking down the blog. 

Social Media has saved me both in this pandemic, and managing to give me some virtual friends, as well as support. For that I am grateful.

18 comments:

William Kendall said...

Another Kay i followed passed away from cancer a few months back, but handed the reins of her photoblog over to another local photographer.

Buttons alias Grace said...

Hi Jen I am so sorry about your friend.
I was a follower of EG and it was horrible finding out what happened to her. Her blog was a nice place to land.
I have not blogged through the pandemic.
I could not do it.
I am glad you met your friend. I never did get down to meet EG. hugs Buttons/Grace

Olga said...

It's a good idea to have such a plan. I have been blogging long enough that there have been a number of blogs on my list that just went silent -- people I never met but still wonder about.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Firstly, I am so glad you got a response. I don't do the book of faces, so did not have that avenue, but I did try reaching out in search of Kay with no luck.

Second - the news does not surprise me, though. As you know, Kay visited me here and finally got her long-wished-for trip around the Bonny Land. It is a treasured memory for me because I quickly realised that she was already showing signs of dementia. It explained why her husband was so protective of her travelling alone.

Third - thanks; I was looking for a prompt for tomorrow's post at DoWY... I shall pick up on your 'legacy' part in that... YAM xx

Tom said...

...I've only met three bloggers in person.

RedPat said...

I used to read Kay's blog too and wondered where she went. EG was a great blog friend and I still miss her. There are many others who have disappeared and you wonder what happened or how they are doing now.

Karen said...

I had a long time blog friend suddenly pop back in again after about four years. I was so happy to see her.

Red said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I have my daughter on my blog and she is supposed to conduct the last rites. She also knows that there's a lot of personal and family information on this blog.

Angie said...

Jenn - your post touched on something I think about often. I have only been part of the blogging community for four years, but I have already experienced one blogger who passed, and several who have gone silent with no explanation. Scary in these pandemic times. I have emailed one of them to check in - the blogger is ok - maybe it is time for me to reach out to several others.

Anvilcloud said...

I seem to remember a Kay, who was not well, but I am pretty sure it was a different one.

I am still i contact with two former bloggers on FB.

Pradeep Nair said...

I landed on your blog via Yamini's blog post.
It's quite sad when regular bloggers whose posts we read and enjoy, just vanish.
After all, we develop some sort of association via blogs.
I think blogs build stronger bonds than popular social media platforms.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I remember Kay and her blog, it is sad news to hear. I am glad you were able to get in touch with her husband, I hope he is not alone and has family nearby. I have noticed some bloggers just disappearing and others announce they are stopping they blogs. Enjoy your weekend!

Linda said...

I was shocked and so saddened to hear of Tina and her husband and their death in an accicent a few years ago. She was an inspiration to me for things like photographing letters and numbers and things that look like them. So many bloggers give up, I was going to, then the lockdown came and it seemed to keep me going. I'm slowing down again, with spurges from time to time.

Powell River Books said...

Sorry to hear about Kay's situation. I met her once in White Rock for lunch. She was so resilient with her physical challenges. During these last two Covid years I've cut back on blogging and reading blogs so I missed seeing anything from her. - Margy

Kay said...

Oh no... I certainly remember Kay. She came to Hawaii with her husband and we took them to Iolani Palace and had lunch together. Thank you for letting us know. I'm so sad for her.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It is very sad to lose blogger friends...I know a few who have died. It is so sad, you knew they were sick and then stopped blogging. A few have put up death notices. My password is in my book ...and hopefully my daughter would take care of a memorial post.

Jeanie said...

I have made a promise to myself that if I ever have to quit blogging I will say so -- and why. And if I'm ill, I will write that and make sure Rick can post something after if needed. It's very hard when that happens -- especially if they are no-reply bloggers and you don't have contact info.

Jeanie said...

PS -- I'm very sorry about Kay. I've met numerous bloggers and I count them as my genuine friends (and not just, as Rick calls them, my "imaginary" friends -- may of whom I also count as real friends!) It's very sad when someone leaves our world like that.