Saturday 18 September 2021

Critters and Autumn Chores

The poor scruffy fritillary. I think its days are numbered. Happily, they are feeding on the thistle.

I was wondering if I should remove the thistle plants in the back. While they propagate by seeds, some varieties spread through horizontal roots which produce shoots. No wonder I have so many this year. 
I had a huge plant last year, which I removed, getting rid of most of the seeds.

JB and I were sitting on the lower deck when the teeny tree frog hopped across the deck and up the leg of the table. I'd just removed the roof of the bench swing for winter, and it must have been under it.


I pruned my orchid cactus. This is the before and after

The next step is to bring it into the house. I've washed off the window bench where they will sit indoors all winter. Stuffing the pruned leaves (are they leaves?!) into a vase to root. I'll give pieces away, once they root, to people who like plants.

This is Nutmeg's box. She's been chewing on it since February [Gramma Camp – Week 24] at least. If you look closely, you can see Cinnamon's face in the box. Cinnamon roared up the back of JB's chair, jumped on top of it, head-bumped JB, jumped down and went into the box. He was lobbying to go out. That was not going to happen. Nutmeg wandered in the room, wondering what was happening! She sort of stomped off.


We've had some deadfall. The bonus is the fungus!

This one is huge!

Saturday's Critters # 405


18 comments:

Tom said...

...there are a lot of things to do at this time of year.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jenn

I love the cute tree frog. Your kitties are adorable playing in the box.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Out To Pasture said...

Sure do love that plump little tree frog. Used to marvel at how our work horses would eat those thistles despite the prickles. I like to have some scotch thistles around as finches like their seeds.

Anvilcloud said...

Those frogs are so cute. I have to wonder at their place in the ecosystem.

Olga said...

The cactus looks very happy with it's haircut.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's always a chore to get plants ready in the Fall. I used to bring interesting critters in that were hiding in the soil! Happy weekend!

RedPat said...

Your tree frog is so cute!

carol l mckenna said...

Oh I am so glad to find you again ~ Your posts and photos are always so fascinating ~ love tiny frog ~ Xo

Living in the moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Cute frog, enormous fungi and a reminder that maybe I should prune my cactus.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Jenn I am in total LOVE with that tree frog !! I so wish I had them in my garden. Those fungi are beautiful .. you must get such satisfaction walking through your wooded areas, especially this time of year.
I have so much to do and I haven't even started yet .. scary !!! LOL
Your cats are cuties ;-)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The frittalary is having a happy last few days thanks to the good food your yard is providing! I always love your kittys' antics.

William Kendall said...

I love it when cats go on a crazy sprint like that.

Kay said...

I'm wondering if those mushrooms are edible.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

you always make me smile. thank you for that. i look forward to autumn chores they are my favorite. cooler and enjoyable to work on them instead of the humidity. ( :

The Furry Gnome said...

I love those little tree frogs you see all the time. We had them at the last house.

Karen said...

The teeny tiny guy who hangs out on the air conditioner comes up on the patio door at night.
We are going to take the power washer to the windows this week. They won't be perfect but it will take a lot of the dirt off so the plants will be happy. I brought the lemon trees in earlier in the week. The nights are just getting too cold for them.

Shiju Sugunan said...

I like the frog. What fun to observe the cats play.

My latest post:
https://craniumbolts.blogspot.com/2021/09/birding-with-rohan.html

NatureFootstep said...

every time I see some frogs I am happy. I never see them on my walks. I know they are here but I don´t see them.
To much or too little? When it comes the thistle. Glad you still have some. Butterflies and other insects love them. :)