Thursday 2 September 2021

Summer comes to a close...

Caitlin termed this, "Oh, dear!" on our family photo stream. Isabelle wrote, "Oh, deer!"

Summer is virtually done. We were at 9 ℃ Thursday morning. It's very sad seeing the damage of Hurricane Ida as it moves across the continent. Fires out west. We are really grateful to be safe here.

JB doesn't have to go out early for his walks, as the days are really pleasant. The garden doesn't have many flowers, truthfully. I don't mind the change. The phlox are blooming, and the critters like it.



The orchid cactus has stopped blooming. I'll have to trim it. I can barely lift it, so I'll have to think that one through. I could take off some nice pieces and root them.


I used the hose to water down the Muskoka Room on the back deck. I put it through the cat door to rinse off the dust and pollen. As I unfurled the house, gray tree frog hopped off. I hope he didn't get too dizzy! Soon they will be hibernating under the leaves for winter. We had three on the deck last week. A small, medium and this large one.


This tree is going to break soon. There is a burl where something grew. 




Grapeleaf skeletonizer is doing its work. That's OK, since the grapes have already appeared.


The thistle are sending their seeds hither and yon. The goldfinches enjoy them, as well as the sunflower seeds.

I was down in the forest. I love these trees, a cool corridor!


The animals are scrambling for food. I noticed someone had been digging under the tree for bugs.

Along came a Northern Ribbon Snake. It must have been 30 cm long. It was slithering around the poison oak.


The fall web worms are doing well. This is amazing. They don't hurt the trees, either. fall worms 


I happened to grab a photo of them mating, in September, 2019: Success in various forms!

15 comments:

Olga said...

THat was a little taste of fall. I like the "little" part.

Tom said...

...but there is so much about autumn to enjoy!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
A lovely change of season post today - I had felt the change occurring here a couple weeks back - when I was starting to want a hot pack for my feet in bed! As the month ticked over, it seemed the sun dropped a few degrees in the sky... YAM xx

RedPat said...

It is so cool that it feels like fall has arrived here this morning.

Karen said...

I wondered what made those big webs! You also identified a dead snake we had on the road. It didn't quite look like a garter snake. Thanks for that.

Nancy J said...

Down here we are having colder mornings this week, as a cold snap moves northwards, but lovely warm days, even to where I could take my fleece jacket off for a while. Love your stroll through the trees and garden, and the stories you write, enjoy those last few warm days.

Christine said...

Lovely nature photos!

Lorrie said...

There is most definitely a change in the air. Autumn is well on her way!

Ontario Wanderer said...

Love the tree frog photo. I hear them a lot but seldom see them here.

William Kendall said...

The snake is a nice sight.

I was debating while out today if I should have gone back for pants instead of shorts.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great to see pictures of the Grey Tree Frog, a species I seldom see. As you say fall is approaching quickly, but it does every year, doesn't it?

Red said...

If you know what you're looking for there's lots of action in the fall.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a wonderful selection of photographs.

All the best Jan

Kay said...

That's a very cute tree frog. I've never heard of an orchid cactus. Now I'm curious and will have to look it up.

Jeanie said...

Those fall worms are fascinating. I've never seen one. I really enjoy all your photos and the nature that abounds in your world. Our temps have dropped here significantly. I'm back at the lake but I don't think I'll be swimming this week!