Tuesday 7 September 2021

Bees, birds, and other friends

 Monday morning someone was in the bathroom at 4 a.m., and he heard the barred owls not only calling, but screeching. That is an interesting sign. Mating calls are done, and they are the most amazing, the calling back and forth! "who-cooks-for-you!" My sightings: 🐦BARRED OWL.

2017
 

I did see phoebe on the weekend, and heard his song. You can see how dry we are. He sits atop the heron in the front yard.


The babies are grown. I shall miss them. They are bug eaters and migrate.

I really enjoy watching the critters as they frantically prepare for winter. Below, the thistle plant and a bee. I spotted a goldfinch on it the other day, but I was too slow for a photo.

Monarch on catnip

I went to do the garbage, and spotted some birds up a tree. I think starlings, but many birds are flocking together in preparation for migration. Underneath the tree, was a doe and fawn!



After a rough last week, we look ahead to this one. Walkies truly help. Our grandies go to school for the first day on Thursday. They did virtual school all last year. 


I sat for a time on the back deck. Cinnamon was up to something. He kept jumping up here, around the hops vine. "He is a busy lad," as JB says fondly.


Three robins were bathing in the water fountain, which I'd cleaned that day. robins  


Then there were the gulls. I couldn't tell what they were at first - from looking through the videocamera. It was a beautiful sight, soaring around and around. Perhaps a dozen, but they are most difficult to count.

Fetching the zoom lens I had a better chance. That, and I grabbed my reading glasses. Turns out, I don't need them with the zoom lens. And, yes, I still need to get the camera cleaned, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. We've a cancer treatment this week.




Now, videocameras only have autofocus, it was a bit tricky. I even rested my elbows on the railing for a bit more stability.

gulls from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

13 comments:

Tom said...

...the owl is a fabulous sight.

Nancy J said...

Real school, JB, the bus can go in for some much needed maintenance now. Love the yard views.

RedPat said...

The owl would be a bit spooky in the night.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

A lovely time of year-- all those birds preparing for winter and leaving, and still nice enough for you to sit on the porch and enjoy them -- and your lovely "nature park" where you live!

Red said...

I can tell that you are looking forward to a slower pace.

Penelope Notes said...

That grand birdbath is a haven … all your videos are fabulous! Love the deer at play … reminds me of a puppy I once had that loved to play chase! My very best wishes for good health coming your way. Also, hoping the kids get off to a great start at school. It's been quite a challenging year.

William Kendall said...

Owls are always a pleasure to see.

Anvilcloud said...

I don't think I realized that "who-cooks-for-you!" is an owl.

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful Jenn, I always enjoy your photos, videos and narrative.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Lovely photos.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Lovely photos

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have seen about 3,400 species of birds around the world. I have spent quality time with many of them; yet a Barred Owl still thrills me as much as any. It is a remarkable animal.

Jeanie said...

You have had some wonderful sightings. I confess, I really love that Barred Owl. So handsome and huge! I wonder what Cinnamon was up to -- could it have involved that hummingbird?